Chief Copy Editor
- Full Time
South Carolina Living, the Palmetto State's largest print publication, seeks a can-do journalist to be our new Chief Copy Editor.
Our ideal candidate is a tactful diplomat and patient teacher with strong copy editing, line editing, writing coach and design consulting skills. You’ll work with 18 local-page editors, helping them make the most of their customized editions each month, and shepherding those pages through the production process from manuscript to page proof.
The Chief Copy Editor will also proof statewide editorial pages common to all editions and coordinate the monthly posting of statewide web and social media content. And we’ve got plenty of writing and photography opportunities if you want to use your creative skills outside of the office every so often.
South Carolina Living is published 11 times a year by The Electric Cooperatives of South Carolina, Inc., for the consumer-members of the state’s not-for-profit electric cooperatives. Our cooperatives use dedicated pages in each issue as their primary member-facing communications channel. Statewide pages are a blend of lifestyle and home improvement stories that complement the local pages in order to create a premium member-benefit magazine. Our total circulation for all editions is 620,000.
Check us out at SCLiving.coop. For more on the association, visit ecsc.org. Our offices are in Cayce, South Carolina, just across the river from the University of South Carolina and downtown Columbia.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism or mass communication.
- Must have 5 years’ experience as a copy editor, line editor or managing editor with a proven track record for producing high-quality print editorial products under monthly deadline pressure.
- Experience as a cooperative communicator or working for a statewide cooperative magazine is strongly preferred.
- Outstanding editorial planning, line editing, copy editing, time management and project management skills.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of magazine design and layout principles and be able to work with an outside designer.
How to apply:
Send a resume, cover letter and three samples of your best work.
Submit materials online at SCLiving.coop/copy-desk. You may also send materials to Keith.Phillips@ecsc.org or by mail to Keith Phillips, Editor, South Carolina Living, 808 Knox Abbott Drive, Cayce, SC 29033
Questions? Call (803) 739-3040.