Associate Director, Communications
- Full Time
Associate Director, Communications
The Associate Director, Communications is responsible for leveraging public relations and storytelling skills, inclusive of social media, to tell the story of the World Science Festival. As a core member of the Communications and Marketing Team, the Associate Director will also lead the creation of an integrated communications plan which focuses on media relations and social media to promote the organization and all initiatives.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Associate Director, Communications is in charge of media relations and social media for the Festival and will have a firm command of the Voice of the organization and represent the Brand in all outward facing communications.
- Develop and implement integrated communication strategies that result in a steady stream of media placements in NYC, state, and national outlets.
- Build a strong, consistent and aggressive narrative to position WSF in the NYC market and beyond.
- Develop innovative and effective messaging to boost engagement, including the development of talking points, press releases, and social media copy.
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with members of the media (science reporters, editorial boards and columnists) to advance World Science Festival strategies.
- Support overarching goals of brand and reputation building by pursuing and securing news coverage in line with strategic priorities, with special emphasis on science and STEM-related fields, research, as well as business, the social sciences, design, and beyond.
- Monitor and report relevant analytics (reach, readership/viewership, shares, etc.).
- Repurpose content to extend messages to additional audiences.
- Execute measurable PR strategies: collaborate with colleagues to develop key messages for thought leadership pieces; build and nurture media relationships through proactive pitches and targeted outreach; continually research outlets and journalists to expand PR capabilities.
- Respond strategically to queries with appropriate statements and information.
- Utilize social media platforms to target and follow influencers, including journalists, to tell and share news with a variety of audiences.
- Manage special projects, including but not limited to website blog copy, video and brochure messaging, conference materials, and crisis/emergency communications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism or Marketing.
- At least 5 years designing and implementing communications and social media strategies.
- Experience leading the development and execution of sophisticated media plans.
- Deep fluency in traditional and digital media tools and tactics.
- Strong existing relationships with the media and influencers – preferably including active relationships with science reporters.
- Be a dynamic team player that is able to maintain a sense of humor.
- Be able to effectively receive and apply feedback.
- Superior written and verbal skills and must be able to capture the Voice of the organization and ensure all communications meets the highest standards.
- Ability to source and develop news stories, releases, web and social media content.
- Strategic thinking and listening is key.
- Must be well-organized, poised, professional, engaging, and able to adhere to tight deadlines.
- Proven record of successful media placements.
- Adept at translating highly technical information and distilling it into a compelling story for public/media consumption.
- Able to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
About the Organization:
The World Science Festival (WSF) is an innovative multi-media organization that produces original live and digital content straddling the arenas of science, technology, the arts, media, performance and education. With the goal of radically transforming public perceptions of science, WSF creates world-class programming, both live on stage and televised, featuring inspired collaborations, outstanding talent and novel production techniques that bring scientific discovery, insight and perspective to a broad general audience.
Our flagship live event in New York City is an unprecedented annual tribute to imagination, ingenuity and inventiveness. The Festival has drawn over 3.2 million visitors worldwide, with more than 75 million views on our online platforms. The World Science Festival’s original musical and theatrical works tour nationally and internationally, and 2016 marked the launch of our sister festival in Australia, World Science Festival Brisbane. World Science U is the Festival’s online education arm where students and lifelong learners dive more deeply into cutting edge science through artfully produced digital education content presented by world-renowned scientists.
How to Apply:
Please email resume with a cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com with Associate Director, Communications in the subject line. No phone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation. The World Science Festival is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Apply for Associate Director, Communications
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly