Posted: 1/14/2020 | Expires: 2/13/2020
Location: New York, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Editor / Editorial
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Penguin Random House Publisher Services is seeking an editor or senior editor to oversee manga titles on behalf of our client Kodansha Comics. Since it began publishing in 2009, the Kodansha Comics imprint has been a runaway success, with hits including Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, Battle Angel Alita, and AKIRA vaulting it into the top ranks of global English-language graphic novel publishers. The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of and passion for comics and Japanese culture, excellent English-language editing and writing skills, and strong professional organization. They will be excited for the challenge of editing manga translations in a variety of genres, from action and romance to science fiction and BL/yuri titles.
Duties and responsibilities include:
* Work with translators and designers to complete English-language manga localizations at a high standard of quality.
* Edit translated manuscripts and lettered, designed interior pages and deliver final passes to Operations.
* Review printer proofs of covers and interiors.
* Work with managing editor to complete the above tasks on time.
* Periodically suggest and/or review title candidates for acquisition from Japanese licensors.
* Help identify target consumers and key selling points and write cover copy for new acquisitions.
* Suggest English-language book titles, author name spellings, and BISAC codes and check editorial metadata for new acquisitions.
* Support marketing activities for assigned titles as necessary.
* Periodically contribute to recruitment efforts and updates to editorial processes and style guides for freelance vendors.
* Work alongside four other editors, fielding difficult localization or technical questions according to seniority and skills.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* At least two years of experience in manga or graphic novel publishing (title and compensation to be commensurate with experience)
* Unquenchable passion for Japanese comics
* Impeccable organizational skills
* Ability to set priorities calmly under pressure
* Must be able to read manga in Japanese
* Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative SuitePenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.