Photo Researcher/Editor, The Week Junior
- Full Time
Dennis Publishing, based in the UK and the US, has more than 30 brands that cover current affairs, technology, automotive, and lifestyle, selling 2.5 million magazines per month and reaching more than 50 million unique users online.
One of its premier products, The Week, was founded in the UK in 1995, and the American edition started in 2001. The Week distills news and opinion from the US and international media to provide readers with “all they need to know about everything that matters.’’ The magazine’s coverage is broad, encompassing domestic and international news, global commentary, and the latest developments in business, technology, the arts, culture, and leisure. Dennis’s most recent acquisition is Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the company's first in the US since being acquired by UK private equity firm Exponent in October. The Week Junior (TWJ), an award-winning weekly newsmagazine for children ages 8 to 14, launched in the UK in 2015 and has become the country’s fastest-growing magazine. It will launch in the US in the spring of 2020.
As Photo Researcher/Editor (depending on experience) of TWJ US edition, you are responsible for all photography used in the magazine. You will be a crucial member of the launch team, helping to ensure that the US version meets the highest standards and adheres to the mission, priorities, and principles established by the UK publication. After the launch, you will work closely with the art director and other members of the staff to produce an ambitious, information-rich, lively, engaging, entertaining, and accessible source of knowledge and inspiration for its young readers
- Take charge of all photography in the magazine.
- Participate in weekly story meeting and brainstorm photo ideas for all stories, which includes reading and discussing copy with writers and editors to ensure that you have a clear understanding of what the item is about, what the priorities are, and what photos will be most appropriate.
- Search far and wide for the absolute best photo for each story, keeping in mind that the photography is a crucial component of engaging readers with the magazine.
- Work with the EIC and art director to provide options for and ultimately select the best image for each issue’s cover, ensuring that it’s an eye-catching “shop window” that showcases the week’s biggest story in an age-appropriate way for the target audience.
- Work closely with copy team to ensure that all photo credits are accurate and provided on time.
- Perform any photo-related production tasks that are required on our tight schedule.
- Do your part to ensure that each issue meets its tight deadline and that workflow is steady throughout the schedule, working ahead whenever possible.
- Develop sound working practices and processes in the photography area that will ensure a high level of productivity and efficiency while minimizing unnecessary stress.
- Hire and supervise any photo freelancers we use.
- Identify and solve problems as they occur.
FINANCIAL + ADMINISTRATIVE
- Manage the photo budget, making sure that accounts are kept up to date and monthly expenses do not exceed the stated limit.
- Negotiate fees as needed, ensuring that contracts are signed and rights secured.
- As needed, support and contribute to marketing-led initiatives.
- Secure photography for any additional projects, such as SIPS, spinoffs, annuals, and supplements.
- Organize and oversee photo shoots as needed.
- Strong experience as an editorial photo researcher or editor on a weekly or monthly magazine
- Strong knowledge of Photoshop
- Experience selecting photos for an audience of children is a bonus
- Extensive knowledge of stock agencies and other avenues for securing high-quality photography
- Experience negotiating fees and contracts
- Ability to manage the workload and fast pace of a newsweekly
- Strong background in Adobe Creative Suite
- Superb organizational, technological, and communication skills
- Understanding of and respect for the target audience
Please send resume with salary requirements to email@example.com
This is an onsite position located in midtown Manhattan.