Meteorologist Reporter - KNSD
Location: San Diego, California
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Editor / Editorial, News & Journalism
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Write scripts, lead-ins, cues, bridges, copy and other material for use on all available platforms.Research and check out weather stories either in person or by phone.Monitor the weather wire to ascertain news weather developments.Gather and research weather information from various sources.Prepare weather forecasts based on material assembled from various sources.Record and deliver promotional announcements when assigned and makes promotional.Active community participation.Create weather graphics and operates weather equipment.Provide information on all platforms: broadcast and digital.Cover all news stories as assigned by the news department and report the facts on station’s news program via broadcast, website and/or live, either in the studio or on location.Perform live interviews and/or live demonstrations.Research, plan, and schedule stories or segments.Edit or supervise the editing of footage used in conjunction with news stories and programs.Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Purpose: As a meteorologist-reporter, you will be responsible for researching, gathering and presenting weather information and general news stories for presentation on newscasts on both NBC7 and Telemundo20.
• Two years minimum experience in television meteorological reporting.
• Professionally proficient in both English and Spanish and able to deliver news in either language
• Experience in television journalism, weather forecasting and weather research.
• Completion of Certified Broadcast Meteorology (CBM) program through the American Meteorology Society (AMS) is required.
• External applicants must submit a resume/CV through the www.nbcunicareers.com site job to be considered
• Must be willing to work at the station in San Diego location
• Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation
• Must be 18 years or greater
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must have a valid drivers license
• Must have ability to work any of a 24x7 shift
• Must have ability to work flexible hours when needed
• Experience in west coast weather patterns
• College degree, with special concentration in meteorology, preferred
• Strong social media presence
• Strong technical skills as related to weather systems
• Team player who is flexible, able to work well and communicate with others
• Motivated and has ability to work on own unsupervised
• Displays a positive work ethic and can work under tight deadlines
• High degree of integrity and professionalism
• Up to date on and interested in current news events
• Strong organizational skills
• AMS Seal
• Ability to make a smooth, professional, on-air presentation.
• Ability to operate computer graphics and other weather equipment.
• Ability to interpret raw weather data.
• Demonstrated ability to provide accurate forecasts.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or Science preferred.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.