3 days left
- Full Time
OVERVIEW: The American Independent is seeking experienced political reporters to join our growing team to focus on original and enterprise reporting. Ideal candidates will have at least five years of experience writing for online publications in a fast-paced news environment, with exceptional news judgment, a solid understanding of national politics, and the ability to write compelling and accurate stories through a progressive lens.
- Pitch original story ideas that rely on enterprise reporting to cover political stories no one else is covering.
- Maintain a wide network of sources within American politics and progressive issue advocacy.
- Promote content via social channels and other professional connections.
- Collaborate with other team members as needed.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Politically savvy, aware, and engaged, with an insatiable appetite for news.
- A competitive streak — you delight in finding scoops and breaking news.
- Excellent news judgment — you’ve got an incredible radar for underreported stories our readers will want to know about, and a knack for framing widely covered stories in a unique way.
- Communicative, engaged, and eager to take initiative at every stage of the process.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to adjust priorities and/or story focus quickly as the news shifts.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and obsessed with executing, even in the face of obstacles.
- Ability to work well with others in a virtual workspace.
Salary commensurate with experience. DC-based reporters are strongly preferred.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and links to three writing samples to email@example.com
The American Independent is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.