DreamWorks Animation Television is seeking a Background Designer with a diverse set of skills to join our team on an unannounced CG show - action/comedy. The Background Designer creates background/CYCS/set designs, overlays, underlays, shadow and color guides, floor plans, orthographics and any other background/CYCS/set -related art that the production may require, ensuring style and quality of show is met.
This exciting new opportunity is based in Glendale, California and is covered by the Animation Guild. Essential Duties and Responsibilities Review script for sets, CYCS, and backgrounds needed at handout of showComplete all rough, revised and final designs necessary within assigned deadlinesCreate orthographics for environments, structures and props - including turns using existing approved designsResolve design problems with creative supervisors If required, generate multiple views of environment and specific elements within it If applicable, make special shadow and color indicationsWillingness to take feedback and rework material while maintaining a fresh perspectiveCommunicate progress of work to appropriate production staff and ensure all deadlines are metEnsure all artwork is properly backed up, organized and stored appropriatelyEnsure all shipping materials are prepared and ready on timeAssist with special projects when needed
● Must demonstrate proficiency in style of show
● Strong background design skills
● Thorough understanding of perspective
● Advanced knowledge of Photoshop
● Knowledge of or willingness to learn applicable design software and hardware
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Is a team player, who genuinely enjoys working with others
● Strong time-management skills
● Works well in a fast paced production environment under pressure
● Relevant drawing experience necessary
● BA in Fine Arts or equivalent work experience preferred
● At least 3 years of experience in television animation, feature animation and/or video games
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Working knowledge of Maya/Zbrush/Modo is a plus
● Portfolio that demonstrates seasoned design skills
● Experience designing for CG
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.