Editorial Assistant - Putnam
Posted: 1/23/2020 | Expires: 2/7/2020
Location: NY, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Editor / Editorial
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
The Putnam imprint at Penguin Random House has an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Assistant to join their team! The Assistant provides administrative and editorial support to two Executive Editors on an impressive list of award-winning adult franchise bestsellers, discovery fiction, expert-led prescriptive nonfiction, and narrative nonfiction.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Writing and editing catalog, flap, and marketing copy.
* Preparing title information sheets and other marketing materials.
* Working with authors, publishers, agents, and the managing editorial department to coordinate and keep track of production process from finished manuscript to bound book.
* Creating P&Ls and contract information sheets, collecting sales data, and providing competitive title research.
* Evaluating manuscripts, writing reader’s reports, logging submissions, and drafting rejection letters.
* Providing general administrative support, including answering phones, taking messages, booking conference rooms, filing departmental expense reports, routing author payments, keeping track of project due dates, executing mailings, and fielding questions from authors.
* Prior office experience
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Exceptional attention to detail and strong follow up skills
* Superb organizational skills and ability to multitask
* Ability to take initiative and problem solve creatively
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.