Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The editorial team in Business, Economics, Social Sciences, and Statistics is part of a global journals program in the Humanities and Social Sciences. The New York-based group, reporting to the Editorial Director, publishes approximately 125 subscription, hybrid, and open access scholarly journals in the areas of Business, Economics, Political Science, Operations Research & Management Information Systems, Sociology, Criminology, Archaeology/Anthropology, and Statistics; in addition, the Editorial Assistant will support approximately 30 Palgrave titles published out of London.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Editorial Assistant provides administrative and project management support for a portfolio of approximately 150 Springer and Palgrave titles, and general assistance to a team of publishing editors based in New York and London in providing best-in-class service to Editors-in-Chief, Editorial Board Members, society representatives, authors, and peer reviewers. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Understand and contribute to meeting the annual targets for journal submission, publication, and transfer volumes
- Serve as a vital information resource (and front-line troubleshooter) for Editors-in-Chief, Editorial Board members, and society partners
- Respond to queries from authors, authors, reviewers, and other contributors
- Support and help monitor submission systems, article flow, and special issues
- Assist and advise on processing of rights and permissions requests
- Coordinate metrics – assist in reporting “key performance indicators,” such as article output, usage, citations, and media coverage
- Assist in preparation for Editorial Board meetings and conferences
- Contribute to social media initiatives and support a variety of marketing initiatives and activities
- Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, production, the Journal Editorial Office, finance, customer service, and other departments to ensure efficient and effective operations
- Manage and monitor invoices and payment requests
- Provide ad hoc journal and team administration
- Input and maintain relevant data to systems, such as JFlow, CMS, etc.
- Liaise with Editorial Assistants in other publishing divisions and units to share best practices and propose improvements to workflows, operations, and communications
- Contribute to the wider Springer Nature Journals group by taking part in cross-departmental projects and initiatives, with respect to publication ethics, data transparency, Open Access policy, and other industry developments
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and QUALIFICATIONS
- Educated to degree or level or equivalent, preferably in a relevant field of study
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
- Be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and be able to work on your own initiative
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems, queries, and opportunities
- Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people within the company and externally at all levels
- Have a proactive attitude
- Excellent English-language skills
- Have excellent networking and acquiring skills and good presentation skills
- Be a diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stakeholders
- Previous experience within academic publishing preferred
- Be flexible, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and show a commercial/entrepreneurial spirit
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.