Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Under the supervision of Senior Editor, Associate Editor researches, acquires, and publishes books in clinical medicine (Gastroenterology, Hematology, Nephrology). Supports Senior Editor in the following functions: market/competitive research; updating status reports; evaluation of submitted manuscripts from XPM and Developmental Editors, volume editors, authors; works with electronic systems as needed; evaluates, finalizes, and transmits manuscripts into production; monitors schedules for projects; corresponds with editors and authors as needed; coordinates various post-publication tasks, such as complimentary copies, queries about permissions, illustrations, artwork, etc.
- Acquisitions activities: Within discipline or disciplines assigned by Senior Editor (see above), pursues an active and efficient acquisition program through correspondence, attending medical meetings, traveling for academic health center visits, consulting with series editors, etc. Using Bflux system, AE prepares book proposals and contracts for own projects.
- In support of their existing portfolio program, has the following responsibilities: (1) Corresponds with and monitors XPM staff and Developmental Editors to bring in contracted, completed book projects; thoroughly reviews projects submitted by XPM and Developmental Editors or by volume editors or authors and prepares these projects for submission to production; works with various Springer electronic systems; liaises with production personnel and full-service vendors as needed as part of process to complete publication of books; monitors schedule of projects to ensure timely completion through production. (2) Conducts market and competitive research in support of their existing portfolio program.
- Meets goals set by the manager for contracts signed, manuscripts transmitted to production, and titles published each year.
- Interacts with Springer staff members in the following departments: editorial, production, marketing, sales, customer service.
- Performs related duties as required and as assigned by the manager.
Managerial or Supervisory Responsibility
- May supervise editorial assistant and/or XPM staff in manuscript preparation and Bflux work.
- Developmental editors, volume editors, authors, contributors, production staff, marketing staff, sales staff, and customer service staff. Springer personnel in overseas offices.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; minimum 3 years' experience in a related editorial capacity, including acquisitions and manuscript-review experience; must be well-organized and attentive-to-detail, with good knowledge of PC operations, including use of Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.