Editor, TV - Tom's Guide
Future, New York, NY USA
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Job Summary & Purpose
This is an amazing opportunity to join one of the world’s biggest and most respected websites as the channel editor of Tom’s Guide’s TV content.
You will be responsible for leading our TV coverage, helping people to choose, buy and use their next TV through a combination of reviews, buying guides, news, tutorials and features.
You’ll be responsible for both writing and editing reviews of the latest TVs, whether $200 Amazon sets or $4,000 8K OLEDs. You’ll also update and maintain our market-leading buying guides in order to give our readers the best recommendations possible.
The TV editor will be responsible for commissioning content to both freelancers and in-house writers, staying on top of news within the category, and maintaining relationships with key product vendors through meetings, trade show appointments and more.
The ideal candidate will also be someone with a strong editorial voice and a true passion for the category that can help Tom’s Guide stand out with original stories and thoughtful analysis, especially those based on original testing. Knowledge of, and experience in writing about, the home theater category would also be an advantage.
About the Brand
One of the world’s fastest-growing websites, Tom's Guide upgrades our readers' lives by helping them decide what products to buy, showing them how to get the most out of them and finding the best deals. Tom's Guide is here to help readers accomplish their goals, find great products without the hassle and make purchases with confidence. From our strong foundation in consumer technology coverage, our primary ambition is to help readers leverage tech to achieve their ultimate goal, whether it’s getting in shape, protecting their privacy, being more productive, or just having fun.
Key role responsibilities
- Reviewing and editing 1-2 televisions or related products per week.
- Maintaining key TV buying guides, including best TVs overall, best OLED TVs, and best TV antenna.
- Commissioning news, reviews and feature content to both freelancers and junior staffers.
- Brainstorming thoughtful analysis and opinion coverage to help Tom’s Guide stand out.
- Assisting with deals coverage, especially during critical shopping seasons.
- Collaborate closely with the head of testing on TV testing results and look for ways to improve testing methodology.
- Tracking the performance of Tom’s Guide’s TV channel and working with your editor to respond to traffic trends.
- You’ll have a passion for the data side of web editing and closely monitor and interpret performance and trends
Essential skills and experience
- Demonstrated experience in writing about and reviewing televisions and related products at an online media outlet
- Experience managing freelancers and monthly budgets
- First-rate SEO knowledge and experience researching SEO trends
- A passion for the data side of web editing and experience analyzing traffic
- Proven ability to collaborate in cross-functional teams
- Strong industry contacts are a major plus
- A desire to develop and grow the TV channel using innovative ideas and keeping abreast of industry developments and trends.
- Ability to work in a wider team
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience promoting stories via cross-linking and social media
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success - every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Future is a global multi-platform media company and leading digital publisher, with scalable brands and diversified revenue streams. We are dedicated to connecting over 300 million people worldwide with their passions, through expert content, world-class events and cutting-edge proprietary technology. We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives.
We have a market-leading portfolio of over 220 brands spanning across technology, gaming, TV & entertainment, women’s lifestyle, music, sport, creative and photography, home interest and B2B. You may have heard of us…
But a stellar heritage isn’t enough. We continue to grow our portfolio and launch new brands, restlessly looking to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We develop leading-edge technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, Europe and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We’re Future. We’re 2300 colleagues over 200 brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We haven’t just survived in 2020, we’ve thrived, increasing our audience share, taking more number one positions, acquiring new businesses and launching new brands.
And we don’t plan on stopping any time soon.
Want to learn more about Future? Visit Future's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands