Art Director, The Week US
Future, New York
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.
Level: Executive (Director, VP, Department Head)
The Group Art Director is responsible for creative development and output of brands in their group in accordance with company policies and objectives, adhering to budgets and deadlines.
You will be responsible for managing art teams/design resource, motivating, developing and mentoring staff. You will also be expected to identify areas for improvement (creative and workflow) and commercial opportunities to make their brands best-in-class.
Reporting to the Design Director, the Group Art Director will lead/initiate creative processes such as cover reviews, issue debrief meetings and design reviews for the brands within their group and ensure feedback from the Content Director and the Brand Director is implemented.
- Design, commissioning and co-ordinating of freelance and/or in-house resource.
- Keeping within budget and deadlines.
- Work with the magazine teams and Editor in Chief under the direction of the Content Director, Creative Director and Head of Art Design to develop brands in their division.
- Design and produce marketing and subscription promos to brief
- Recruitment of creative talent when needed.
- Contribute to the overall creative culture of Future and it’s values.
- Feedback on design, typography, attention to detail and magazine craft highlight any areas for development and suggest solutions.
- Contributing to cover and issue planning.
- Identify workflow issues – when problems arise or are anticipated make recommendations as to how they can be resolved.
- Lead in the cover review process, making sure covers are reviewed by the Head of Design, Content Director and Brand Director in a timely fashion.
- Commission and art-direct photo shoots/illustration when required.
- Take responsibility for the quality of the photography/illustration on assigned titles.
- Ensure photographers/illustrators have an approved contract, and all published material has the correct rights assigned prior to publication.
- Ensure Art & Design department spend is within budget.
- The ability to manage workflow processes successfully to ensure the production and smooth running of a publication from concept to completion.
- Proven track record in magazine design to the highest standard
- Ability to work at pace with appropriate sector knowledge and authority
- Excellent team management skills.
- Superb attention to detail and the ability to adapt to the values required by the undertaken activity.
- The ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Excellent self-discipline, communication, organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to liaise across a number of departments.
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success - every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Future is a global multi-platform media company and leading digital publisher, with scalable brands and diversified revenue streams. We are dedicated to connecting over 300 million people worldwide with their passions, through expert content, world-class events and cutting-edge proprietary technology. We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives.
We have a market-leading portfolio of over 220 brands spanning across technology, gaming, TV & entertainment, women’s lifestyle, music, sport, creative and photography, home interest and B2B. You may have heard of us…
But a stellar heritage isn’t enough. We continue to grow our portfolio and launch new brands, restlessly looking to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We develop leading-edge technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, Europe and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers.
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We’re Future. We’re 2300 colleagues over 200 brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We haven’t just survived in 2020, we’ve thrived, increasing our audience share, taking more number one positions, acquiring new businesses and launching new brands.
And we don’t plan on stopping any time soon.
Want to learn more about Future? Visit Future's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.