Future, Atlanta, GA USA
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.
Space.com, part of Future plc, seeks an experienced Editor with proven digital publishing experience and a passion for space and exploration of the universe to help take its coverage to the next level. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the largest, and most successful brands at Future, and work alongside a team of passionate space enthusiasts.
Space.com is managed by a global team of experts who have a keen interest in all things astronomy, NASA, sci-fi, and more. Space.com sits within Future’s Knowledge vertical, which also includes market-leading digital brand LiveScience, along with hugely respected print titles like All About Space, How It Works, and All About History. This is a diverse group of subject matter experts, and one of the broadest and most interesting collection of brands at Future.
Reporting to the Space.com Editor-in-Chief, you will be responsible for assisting with the overseeing the daily operations of the website, including editing and writing news stories and critical evergreen content, commissioning freelance coverage and overseeing the news calendar. This position requires keen attention to detail, good organizational skills, self-discipline, excellent time-management skills and confidence in budget management for a variety of content. Above all, a passion for and knowledge of space exploration is a must. The successful candidate will also be responsible for creating and maintaining relationships with new and existing freelancers while working with the core news team.
The Editor will also conduct interviews for news coverage and may occasionally travel to attend events such as conferences or launches. They will be responsible for a blend of content, including news, long-form features, video interviews and industry or entertainment event coverage. The Editor may also be required to pivot to other work during peak seasonal times (e.g. e-commerce driven content for peak trading months).
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief to deliver a digital strategy for all news, evergreen and e-commerce content.
- Commission and write spaceflight, astronomy, tech and skywatching news in line with site strategic objectives.
- Optimization and maintenance of core news and evergreen content.
- Overseeing the Space.com daily newsletter.
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief to assist the overseeing of major e-commerce projects.
- Work with Channel Editors to ensure proper coverage of core section verticals with core staff and external writers.
- Tracking and processing of freelance commissions for budgeting and payments.
- Identify targets for live event coverage, night sky observing guides and evergreen content to grow our audience.
- Keep up to date with industry trends and ensure we are delivering this to our audience.
- Brainstorming thoughtful analysis and opinion coverage to help our coverage stand out.
- Relevant experience in a similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent work experience
- Excellent industry insight and knowledge
- Strong industry contacts
- Proven expertise of building audiences with digital journalism
- Strong knowledge of digital technologies and best practice
- Strong knowledge of digital content production lifecycle
- Strong working knowledge of SEO
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work independently and use initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Poised under pressure and able to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to adapt to new challenges
If you are applying internally, please notify your line manager and VMD before submitting your application.
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right)
- A share in our success - every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Flexible spend account
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
It's a fast paced environment as we continuously look to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. If you are a collaborative disruptor who can see a way to play a part in delivering our bigger picture with personality, finesse and courage, then we want to hear from you. Let’s do this.
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job
Our Future, Our Responsibility - Inclusion and Diversity at Future
We have a voice and we’re going to use it. We promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do. We’re an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process is free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respecting of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values and employees - current and future - are treated with respect and fairness. Find out more about Our Future, Our Responsibility on our website
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We’re Future. We’re 2300 colleagues over 200 brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We haven’t just survived in 2020, we’ve thrived, increasing our audience share, taking more number one positions, acquiring new businesses and launching new brands.
And we don’t plan on stopping any time soon.
Want to learn more about Future? Visit Future's website.
Create the extraordinary.