Division Co-Director, Communications
Hadassah, New York, NY USA
Work at Hadassah
Level: Executive (Director, VP, Department Head)
The Division Co-Director, Communications plays an integral role as part of Hadassah’s senior leadership team as a division co-director, leading the Hadassah Marketing & Communications (MarCom) Division’s communications efforts and working in close partnership with the MarCom Division Co-Director, Marketing. This Co-Director will be responsible for the development of the organization’s overall national communications strategy and implementation to include creating, implementing and leading internal and external communication, media & public relations, editorial and communications strategies and messaging, to targeted key stakeholder audiences, that will increase awareness and engagement in Hadassah’s national programs, initiatives and campaigns.
The Co-Director, Communications, will develop a top-notch communications plan, relative to the strategic direction and position of the organization, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's public profile. This Co-Director will oversee the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of media and public relations activities to raise Hadassah’s profile with relevant constituencies, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Co-Director will bring with her/him a broad base of relationships with the media. The Co-Director, Communications will also be responsible for overseeing our internal communications, including content strategy and development, and reviewing writing quality and distribution channels. For all communications vehicles (i.e., public relations and social media) and audiences, this position will oversee and analyze communications metrics.
The Co-Director, Communications will develop her/his relationship with and also oversee the Director, Media & Public Relations’ ongoing partnership with (1) Hadassah’s Israel Director of Public Relations in the Hadassah Office in Israel (HOI), Hadassah’s Jerusalem-based office (the role encompasses both marketing and media relations), and (2) the Hadassah Medical Organization’s internal spokesperson/public relations director. The Co-Director will also work cross-functionally across Hadassah, including with Philanthropy, Membership/Engagement, [Israel/Jewish] Education and Advocacy, and with the Executive Division, which includes the CEO /Executive Director and the National President. In all areas, there will be significant exposure to and collaboration with Hadassah’s dedicated volunteer leaders.
This Co-Director will lead, coach, supervise, and inspire the Communications team including two direct reports, the Director of Strategic Communications and the Director of Media and Public Relations. Reporting to these two directors are the Social Media Manager, Senior Marketing Writer, Program Manager/Writer, Communications Manager and Senior Publicist.
The Marketing team in the MarCom Division, led by the Division Co-Director, Marketing, includes three direct reports – the Director of Marketing (open position), Director of Creative Services and Director of Digital Communications. Reporting to them are three Web Developers, a Senior Graphic Designer, Digital Graphic Designer (open position), Sr. Multi-Media Communications Producer and the Marketing Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With the Co-Director, Marketing, lead the MarCom annual strategic planning and budgeting process.
- Oversee the creation and integration of a broad range of media and public relations activities
- Within a strategic communications plan, include the development of content strategy to ensure the consistency of the organization’s communication outputs, including brand building and awareness activities, print publications, social media content and positioning, digital communications and media and public relations activities.
- Serve as an ambassador for Hadassah, developing relationships internally and externally with prospective donors and other relevant constituencies to advance the brand and its positioning in order to drive revenue.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by Hadassah. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external marketing and communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Provide regular updates regarding communications projects to Hadassah’s senior leadership team to promote an effective, efficient and transparent strategic environment.
- Work with the CEO/Executive Director, Co-Director, Communications, and senior leadership to define and manage the strategic positioning of Hadassah. Lead the development of communications strategies that will build brand awareness and meaning, differentiate Hadassah, strengthen competitiveness, and support achievement of enrollment and chapter revenue objectives.
- Monitor market trends, competitor initiatives, and communications technology changes/best practices to inform planning.
- Oversee the development and execution of communications content that will support membership growth and philanthropic initiatives that help achieve revenue objectives.
- Ensure the effectiveness of Hadassah communications in form of print publications, online publications, print marketing collateral, video productions, advertising and social media in selected mediums – on time and within budget.
- Oversee the development and implementation of media and public relations programs that support Hadassah’s brand leadership and promote Hadassah’s accomplishments and innovation, thought leadership, new initiatives and services, and events to build awareness, favorable attitudes, membership and donation interest among target audiences. In concert with the Director, Media and Public Relations, advise senior leadership on major publicity strategies and programs, seeking input and approval as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Director, Media and Public Relations, provide leadership on crisis communications, working closely with senior leadership.
- Oversee the communications team’s prioritization of media opportunities and creation of talking points, speeches, op-eds, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed.
- In collaboration with the Director of Media and Public Relations and as needed, evaluate the external public relations agencies for capabilities and/or capacities, assess candidates and negotiate agency agreements. Provide overall direction for major engagements.
- Oversee Communications staff performance evaluations, coaching and development, retention and recruitment.
- Oversee the preparation of the Communications budget and incremental funding requests. Ensure expenses are managed to budget.
- Any and all other duties including special projects, as assigned by the CEO/Executive Director.
- Minimum 10 years progressive experience in communications leadership roles in internal communications, editorial, media and public relations, crisis communications, marketing, and social media plus management experience leading a team or teams.
- Experience in a non-profit organization, healthcare/medical institution, and/or a marketing/PR agency with clients in these areas is essential.
- Experience working with or in a fundraising or membership organization preferred, but not essential.
- Passion for Israel and the mission of Hadassah, The Women’s Zionist Organization of America.
- An in-depth understanding of media relations and the needs and requirements of journalists.
- Excellent communications sense to drive compelling messages and engaging representations of those messages.
- Strong writing and editing skills, high attention to detail, and strong organizational skills, including timeliness and accuracy.
- Strong strategic skills to frame the overall organizational direction for communications that will succinctly and effectively define the mission of the organization and drive interest in that mission.
- Strong managerial skills to establish priorities reflecting the implementation of the mission statement and communications strategy and will hold staff accountable for addressing those priorities in a timely and impactful way.
- Leadership experience with proven ability to build, manage, mentor, motivate, and hold accountable to high standards, a diverse results-driven team, with a commitment to excellence.
- Ability to listen to others and learn from their best ideas.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/presentation skills, with familiarity using digital platforms.
- Vision to compete within a crowded market for attention and commitment from specific target audiences such as women, Jewish/Jewish-adjacent individuals and/or high-level donors.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Powerpoint and Sharepoint, and a familiarity with SalesForce and project management programs such as Basecamp
- Goal-oriented and entrepreneurial with a responsive flexible working style
- Self-starter, able to take initiative and work independently
Education and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in communications, journalism or related fields
- Ability to read and speak Hebrew a plus, but not essential
For more than a century, Hadassah, The Women's Zionist Organization of America, Inc. (HWZOA), has provided outstanding and highly innovative medical care; shared its passion for the land, people and future of Israel; and empowered women to take charge of their health and their lives. Every year, our hospitals in Israel treat more than 1 million patients of every race, religion and nationality, and our medical breakthroughs save lives all over the world. In the United States, our wellness initiatives create healthier communities and our advocacy efforts empower women to effect change on a wide range of issues. None of these achievements would be possible without Hadassah’s unique partnership among its highly experienced volunteer leaders and staff; more than 300,000 dedicated members, Associates, donors and supporters; and an outstanding professional team.
Want to learn more about Hadassah? Visit Hadassah's website.
Create the extraordinary.