Assistant/Associate Editor - Harper Design
HarperCollins Publishers, New York, NY USA
Work at HarperCollins Publishers
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Editor or an Associate Editor to join the Harper Design imprint within our General Books Group!
- Acquires visual proposals for publication.
- Is involved in every aspect of book design from editorial, to design and layout, to choosing paper and binding specifications with Harper Design Art Manager.
- Reads, evaluates, and edits manuscripts for publication.
- Deals directly with high profile authors, artists, and agents.
- Coordinates all eBook creation.
- Works with the Design Manager and Managing Ed to prepare schedules for all books licensed from foreign publishers, and shepherding each project through the editorial, design, copyediting, and production process.
- Acts as a liaison between VP/Publisher and Sales, Marketing, Production, Design, and Managing Editorial departments and is responsible for staying abreast of all deadlines.
- Conducts market research, and researches sales figures on prospective author’s previous titles as well as relevant competitive titles.
- Writes descriptive copy at all levels: fact sheets, catalog copy, and jacket copy.
- Updates a title management database.
- Processes forms, including contract requests and amendments, profit and loss statements, production memos, estimate requests, shipping instructions, library of congress number requests, and payment requests.
- Helps prepare and distribute seasonal PowerPoint presentations for launch meetings.
- Performs administrative duties, including scheduling meetings, taking and updating meeting minutes, processing invoices, filing expense reports, and requesting author payments.
- Formats and transmits final manuscripts to Production Department, including proper presentation of copyright materials, art logs, and special instructions from editor.
- Updates Harper Design social media accounts.
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 1 year of trade editorial or agency experience at Assistant Editor level; 2 years of experience at Associate Editor level
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to handle a large volume of work independently
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Interest in Non-fiction visual books
HarperCollins Publishers is a company full of people who are passionate about books. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.
HarperCollins Publishers is an equal opportunity employer.
This role is currently based out of New York, NY. You will need to commute to the office when it reopens.
Our recruitment team will review all applications submitted through www.harpercollins.com/careers. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This role will be taken down when we are no longer accepting new applicants.
About HarperCollins Publishers
HarperCollins Publishers is the second largest consumer book publisher in the world, with operations in 17 countries. With 200 years of history and more than 120 branded imprints around the world, HarperCollins publishes approximately 10,000 new books every year in 16 languages, and has a print and digital catalog of more than 200,000 titles. Writing across dozens of genres, HarperCollins authors include winners of the Nobel Prize, the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, the Newbery and Caldecott Medals and the Man Booker Prize. HarperCollins, headquartered in New York, is a subsidiary of News Corp (Nasdaq: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) and can be visited online at corporate.HC.com.
Want to learn more about HarperCollins Publishers? Visit HarperCollins Publishers's website.
We give readers what they want, before they want it.