Weekend Anchor / Reporter
Hearst Television, Lancaster, PA, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $56,500
Salary max: $58,500
The next WGAL News 8 Weekend Anchor is someone who can bring the energy of live reporting to our anchor desk. We are the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate servicing the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA market. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we’re looking for a journalist who also wants to head into the field and break big stories. Our next anchor/reporter will strive to enterprise exclusives, tell compelling stories, and execute energetic live shots. We are looking for this market’s next leader who isn’t afraid to ask tough questions and will hold those in power accountable. Our anchors are newsroom leaders who help mentor and grow producers and reporters. Our anchors write and edit scripts with conversational communication in mind. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast and efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
- Delivers scripted and ad lib material with professionalism, personality, and purpose
- Works with and guides reporters and producers in newscast production, especially during weekend shifts
- Plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news or special project assignments
- Works with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
- Contributes regularly to our digital and social media platforms by posting web versions of assigned stories
- Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- An ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Engages with the community on behalf of the station through public event appearances
- In-person attendance is required
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Past anchor experience required
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover impactful stories
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Proven Anchor with ability to connect with viewers, in addition to strong reporting skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use the latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record.
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Home of the world’s best books.