Director of Programming & Public Affairs
Hearst Television, Lancaster, PA, United States
The story is yours!
Do you love producing compelling local television? Want to make a difference in the community? One of America’s great television station is seeking qualified applicants for a newly created position of Director of Programming and Community Affairs. WGAL 8, the Hearst owned NBC Affiliate in Lancaster, Pennsylvania is looking for a talented individual to oversee local programming including a weekly public affairs show, long-running high school quiz show, and the creation of new special programs. Successful candidate will also be responsible for developing new community initiatives as well as maintaining station partnerships with local non-profits. This is a department head level position that reports to the President and General Manager of WGAL.
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania has an economy driven by diverse industries, innovation, and global impact, which contrasts with its well-known reputation for pastoral landscapes, Amish population, and strong agricultural heritage. Lancaster is home to a dynamic and growing business community that
benefits from the proximity of the major marketplaces and transportation hubs of the East Coast while taking advantage of the costs and values associated with a mid-sized community.
- Manage all station programming (local, syndication and network) and associated duties, including scheduling, planning, strategy, and acquisition (in conjunction with GM and HTV programming), communication, coordination, and implementation.
- Responsible for all FCC quarterly reporting (Children’s and Issues Reports) and other FCC reporting, as needed.
- Work collaboratively with all departments on all platforms (WGAL, MeTV and WGAL.com).
- A thorough understanding of HTV policies and FCC regulations will be required.
- Must have a solid understanding of Nielsen ratings, ratings tracking/trending and research.
- Responsible for WGAL Community Affairs efforts, including local programming, PSAs, non-profit community projects and serving on WGAL’s Editorial Board.
- Support, coordinate, and co-produce WGAL special events / programming.
- Working closely with the content department on WGAL 8’s community affairs program, In Focus.
- Working closely to support and lead WGAL community events
Ideal candidate should have a minimum of 5 years' experience working at a television station with a successful record of producing television and providing editorial oversight. Related military experience will be considered
College degree required, preferably in broadcast journalism, communications or related specialty.
**As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.**
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands