Director of Engineering
Hearst Television, Savannah, GA, United States
The story is yours!
WJCL is searching for a demonstrated leader, experienced people manager, and effective communicator for the position of Director of Engineering. The position will be directly responsible for management and supervision of the installation, operation, and maintenance of all studio, transmission, and field equipment. This position will manage and oversee the technical, IT and operational engineering staff responsible for production of the highest quality broadcasts in the market. In addition to oversight of technical and engineering operations, the position will have final oversight of security, infrastructure, logistics planning of special events and capital projects. The Director of Engineering reports directly to the General Manager and assists in achieving station and departmental objectives/priorities. The Director of Engineering will coordinate with the Chief Engineer to develop daily planning & scheduling outlines, while administrating on a logistics level. They will also provide mentorship for the Engineering Department.
WJCL, is a proven leader in local news, on the leading edge of technology application, and has a rich history of public service to the community. We are looking for a results-oriented operational and technical leader to join a management team that is committed to excellence. The ability to communicate and interface with various functional departments and senior management while managing priorities is key to success in this role. In person attendance is required.
- Develop and lead WJCL’s present and future technology and engineering based operational strategies
- Construct plans for all engineering capital and operational expenditures.
- Develop and own technical and engineering operational budget management
- Develop and maintain 5-year technical plans that keep the stations infrastructure and technology current and the facility in top operational condition.
- Establish and maintain operational technical/engineering standards and policies
- FCC compliance and oversight
- Conceptualize and explain technical execution necessities for daily and monthly projects to the GM
- Serve as trusted leader of a team of multiple Engineers and Master Control Operators and be able to effectively address technical and personnel issues
- Assign and delegate appropriate personnel to create streamlined efficient responses
- Maintain awareness of the condition of all technical equipment regularly
- Manage schedules, deliver consistent evaluations, and host regular meetings for a team of multiple Engineers and Master Control operators
- Ensure proper training and education of staff as applicable whether in technical and engineering departments or other functional departments
- Proven track record of ability to lead, manage and motivate a team with at least 5+ years of experience serving as people manager.
- Proven track record of ability to develop and manage an operational budget.
- Proven track record of ability to develop, manage and execute a capital project plan and budget with the ability to communicate such plan and budget requests to senior leadership for review and approval.
- Proven track record of ability to oversee technical broadcast operations.
- Ability to effectively communicate with an emphasis on urgency related to engineering challenges and their solutions in real time for appropriate Department Head and Operations meetings
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in fast paced environment
- Data network, data communications, computer systems and broadcast technologies experience
- Working knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows, Linux, Oracle, etc.)
- Background in audio/video technologies at all levels of production
- Knowledge of multi-channel station automation and servers
- File-based newsroom workflows and editing experience
- VOIP systems background
- HD routing switchers, production switchers, cameras, robotics, and multi-viewers experience
- Satellite commercial delivery systems knowledge – Pitch Blue, Path fire, etc.
- Broadcast Encoders, Mux & IRDs experience
- Understanding of ATSC / 8VSB signals and transmission, MPEG2, DOLBY AC3, CALM ACT, EAS, CAP, IP Video, HDTV, ENG and Fixed Link microwave transmission
- Ability to maximize and incorporate use of burgeoning new tools and new technology
- BS or AS degree in engineering and/or equivalent industry experience
- Military experience is a plus
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands