Hearst Television, New York, NY, United States
The story is yours!
Hearst Television is looking for a talented digital journalist with an eye for analytics and how to use data to drive editorial decisions and strategy. The role of Digital Strategist works closely with the editorial teams at our owned and operated TV stations across the U.S. to develop strategies for big coverage that involve social media, SEO and our own digital platforms.
The ideal candidate should be a news junkie who is obsessed with social media, should have an eye for video with viral potential and should know how to use analytics to drive traffic and engagement across multiple platforms. They should also be a teacher and coach who can help train people with varying levels of digital expertise.
This person should be looking at the big picture, but also be able to roll up their sleeves and support HTV stations when big news stories are happening as part of our digital jump team, and support our National Desk and video creation teams when needed.
The Digital Strategist reports to the Manager, Digital Content and Strategy, and works with a team of strategists to prioritize and set short- and long-term goals for Hearst TV, and to work with our teams on execution. This position can be located in New York or at any of Hearst’s TV stations.
- Maintaining relationships with digital and management teams at assigned TV stations.
- Providing regular feedback, strategy suggestions to assigned TV stations.
- Lead various projects related to content, social media, search, ecommerce, and participate on projects led by other team members.
- Must be familiar with digital publishing and working in various content management systems.
- Must have a deep knowledge of the various social media networks, including posting and content strategies, troubleshooting bugs and being able to work with the platforms on user management and moderation.
- Strong knowledge of SEO best practices and how to implement them.
- Must understand analytics – Google Analytics, Parse.ly, CrowdTangle, among others – and how to use the information to build and implement content and strategy plans.
- Knowledgeable about best practices around push notifications and using data to inform strategy.
- Ability to coach journalists at varying levels of digital competence.
- Demonstrated history of innovation in content presentation and execution.
- Must be able to write and produce written and video content; guide digital staff on improving both in their markets.
- Familiarity with use of third-party content and UGC in content presentation.
- Experience working with ecommerce is a plus.
- Experience with data journalism is a plus.
- Must have 3 years of experience working in an editorial role at a digital news operation.
- Must be able to work after-hours/weekends based on need.
- Must be able to travel as assigned for training, editorial support.
- Must be able to create videos and custom images using Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.
- Must have strong presentation skills.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands