Hearst Television, South Burlington, VT, United States
The story is yours!
WPTZ/NBC5, the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate in the Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY market, has an opportunity for a high energy, highly skilled Meteorologist to join our Weather team. We are looking for a Meteorologist who knows the science, but can tell a relatable weather story. Our next Meteorologist will be an accurate forecaster, convey an appropriate tone of urgency and authority in severe weather coverage, summarize complicated information, and stay cool under pressure. This meteorologist will be assigned to weekend weather anchoring and fill-in for weekday meteorologists.
During work hours, you'll be in our brand new, state-of-the-art facility. In off hours, you'll be surrounded by some of the best ski areas in the country, scenic mountains, and some of the most beautiful waterways in the country.
- Give our viewers the weather forecast with accurate, compelling, and understandable weather storytelling and graphics.
- Will provide urgent, immediate weather information before and during severe weather events
- Will be able to simultaneously provide content on TV and on our digital platforms.
- Will utilize all the technology and tools available to us, including the WSI weather system, to tell an intriguing weather story
- Could be deployed in the field during weather events
- Gather news and information
- Summarize facts and clearly communicate content for broadcast
- In-person attendance is required. Position is located in South Burlington, VT.
- In-depth knowledge of weather science and forecasting.
- Proven on-air experience in handling breaking news and severe weather coverage
- Dynamic and authoritative on-air presence with a conversational weather presentation
- Knowledgeable about how to interpret and translate high powered radar data
- Proficient in using WSI graphics and technology
- Excellent forecasting and on-air skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to tell a compelling weather story
- Ability to use common television weather systems.
- Radar experience preferred
- Ability to do live field reporting on weather and other topics.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology or related field/equivalent experience
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.