Hearst Television, Pittsburgh, PA, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $35,000
Salary max: $35,000
WTAE-TV, the Hearst-owned ABC affiliate in Pittsburgh, PA has an immediate opening for a full-time Digital Editor.
We are seeking a digital-savvy digital editor who understands the Pittsburgh region in terms of its people, culture, sports, and news. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who has a strong sense of what information our audiences both need and want, and knows how to leverage a variety of platforms and forms of media to create engaging content.
Creativity with video, photos and social media is key, as well as being an avid storyteller and team-player.
The Digital Editor will support the station’s mission by both creating and curating content from a variety of outlets, including the station’s newsroom, Internet, wire services, and social media.
- Write/edit and publish breaking news, daily news, sports, weather and feature stories for the station’s website, mobile and social media pages.
- Produce short videos and graphics to drive engagement on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Identify and gather information on potential news stories seen on social media and other news websites.
- Select stories and identify how to best tell those stories utilizing different platforms and types of multimedia.
- Collaborate in building daily multimedia content with station news management, reporters, photographers, assignment editors and producers.
- Manage live streams of newscasts and breaking news.
- Execute digital content plan on station events, major breaking news and severe weather.
- Integrate user generated content as part of “crowd sourcing” to complement our professional content.
- Journalism and social media background.
- Strong news and editorial judgment; knowledge of legal and ethical issues in regards to digital and social media.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with knowledge of AP style.
- Ability to work under pressure in a time-sensitive environment with a strong will to win in breaking news situations.
- Understanding of viral content – ability to produce content with viral potential and identify content before it goes viral.
- Ability to repurpose and recreate content in a way that is fresh, creative, and engaging to audiences.
- Willingness to learn new skills and quickly adapt to changing digital strategies.
- Must be able to work all shifts – nights, holidays and weekends included.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field is preferred.
- 1 to 3 years prior experience working for a television station, daily newspaper or in a digital environment
- Experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop a plus.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Create the extraordinary.