Hearst Television, Jackson, MS, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $35,000
Salary max: $36,000
16WAPT, the Hearst owned ABC Affiliate in Jackson, MS is looking for a Reporter that has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and do compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we’re looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. The Reporter is someone who can bring the energy of live reporting to our anchor desk. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we’re looking for a reporter who isn’t afraid to head out into the field and break the big stories. We are looking for this market’s next leader who isn’t afraid to ask the tough questions, and will hold those in power accountable. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
- Works with and guides reporters and producers in newscast production
- Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news or special project assignments
- Works with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
- Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- In-person attendance is required
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Has a valid driver’s license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
- Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.