Assistant Chief Engineer
Hearst Television, Kansas City, MO USA
The story is yours!
KMBC/KCWE, the Hearst owned ABC/CW affiliates in Kansas City, has an opening for an Assistant Chief Engineer. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to organize, plan, manage, document, and execute assignments within a demanding live broadcast environment. This person is responsible for the equipment that provides the content of our broadcast program streams. Candidate will be responsible for monitoring multiple air channels, maintaining regulatory compliance, and assuring quality control of on-air product. Responsibilities include oversight of studio and field equipment and the supervision and motivation of the technical staff. The ideal candidate must excel in motivating and working with a high-energy team and should demonstrate success in budgeting, capital planning and personnel management. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering.
- Assist the Director of Engineering with the supervision of the daily operation of the station.
- Deploy and train personnel in new and existing equipment/technology/procedures including the station’s broadcast automation systems, live newscast production, and digital workflows.
- Maintain transmitters, satellite antenna systems, signal distribution, encoders, and routing systems.
- Exhibit a good working knowledge of television maintenance and IT systems, as well as FCC requirements and licensing.
- Ability to adapt to multiple priorities and follow through until successful resolution.
- Requires excellent judgment and ability to effectively handle complex issues under pressure or during emergency situations.
- Document and maintain engineering and operational policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- In-person attendance is required.
- 5+ years of experience in studio, SNG and ENG broadcast operations
- Strong RF background
- Previous leadership and management experience
- Budgeting and Capital planning
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
- Computer literacy is mandatory.
- FCC General Class License a plus.
- College Degree
- SBE certifications are preferred.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands