Director of Engineering
Hearst Television, Sacramento, CA USA
The story is yours!
KCRA/KQCA is searching for a demonstrated leader and effective manager for the position of Director of Engineering. The individual will be directly responsible for supervision of the installation, operation, and maintenance of all studio and field equipment and the development, supervision and motivation of the technical and operational staff responsible for the production of the highest quality productions in the market. The position will also provide oversight of IT integrity and infrastructure, serve as the point person for logistics planning of special events and projects, and will assist the General Manager in achieving station and departmental objectives and priorities. In-person attendance is required.
We are looking for a results-oriented leader with the ability to motivate, communicate, and interface with various departments. A Hearst Television station duopoly, KCRA/KQCA is a proven leader in local news and has a rich history of public service to our community. We seek an individual to join a management team committed to excellence.
- Lead KCRA/KQCA’S present and future technology strategies
- FCC compliance and oversight
- Capital planning and execution with collaboration of all other departments
- Management of implementation of capital projects
- Oversight of Engineering Operations Budget
- Develop and maintain 5 year technical plan
- Establish and Maintain Operational technical standards and operational policies
- Train and educate staff to understand all internal systems
- Mentor and develop the next generation of engineering leaders for KCRA/KQCA
- Multi-channel station automation and servers
- File-based newsroom workflows and editing
- VOIP systems
- HD routing switchers, production switchers, cameras, robotics and multi-viewers
- Satellite commercial delivery systems – Pitch Blue, Path fire, etc.
- Broadcast Encoders, Mux & IRDs
- Understanding of ATSC / 8VSB signals, MPEG2, DOLBY AC3, CALM ACT, EAS, CAP, IP Video, HDTV, ENG and STL Microwave transmission.
- Understanding of VPNs, VLANs and port routing
- The ability to work with all other department heads
- Experience working in a union environment
- Working knowledge of data network, data communications, computer systems and equipment.
- Working knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc…)
- Ability to follow drawings/schematics and trouble shoot systems and equipment.
- Working knowledge of audio/video technologies, both digital and analog.
- BS or AS degree in engineering and/or equivalent industry experience.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Create the extraordinary.