Hearst Television, Des Moines, IA, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $40,000
Salary max: $40,000
KCCI 8 News is looking for a Digital Editor who will be responsible for creating content for its website, mobile and social media platforms. The successful candidate will be an excellent storyteller and multi-tasker who can edit and create content facing intense competition under constant deadline pressure. The candidate must have the ability to remain calm and level-headed but react aggressively and decisively during breaking news situations with or without a manager present.
• Write/edit and publish breaking news, daily news, sports, weather, and feature stories for the station's website, mobile app, and social media platforms
• Curate the KCCI.com homepage and app regularly throughout shifts
• Write sharp, compelling headlines and push alerts with accuracy
• Manage live streams of newscasts and breaking news on the website and on social media
• Regularly create social content, including graphics and videos, and post to the station's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms
• Keep tabs on the pulse of the social media landscape in central Iowa
• Have a passion for social media engagement, site traffic analytics, and taking ownership in helping meet the station's digital KPI goals
• Add to the digital desk's long-term planning and strategic vision
• Respond positively to feedback and direction from all newsroom and station managers
• Maintain a positive work environment through active team participation and cooperation with coworkers in all departments and corporate teams
• In-person attendance is required
• Experience as a writer or editor for a newspaper or news website
• Publishing experience within a content management system
• Familiarity with local newsgathering workflow and terminology, Google Analytics, Parsley, Social News Desk, Braze, Restream, OBS, Crowdtangle, ENPS, and other third-party digital services.
• 1-3 years of professional newsroom experience. Recent college graduates with extensive journalistic internships and campus media involvement may be considered.
• Strong news and editorial judgment, and able to make decisions under pressure and to change footing when news breaks.
• Attention to detail, as well as a sense for balance, diversity, and tone of the stories on our platforms.
• Ability to edit copy for AP Style
• Know what drives digital audiences to click on stories and watch videos on desktop and mobile.
• Understanding of SEO best practices, excellent AP knowledge, and headline writing skills.
• Strong understanding of social media best practices.
• Flexibility to work different shifts, holidays, etc. on short notice to cover a 24-hour news cycle.
• Ability to work well in a multi-tasking environment with frequent interruptions, while paying close attention to details.
• Proficiency in Photoshop and Premiere
• This position is fully onsite at the television station.
• 4-year college degree in Journalism, Communication, Digital Media or related field
• Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Defense Information School (DINFOS) or other related military training and experience will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands