Hearst Television, Cincinnati, OH USA
The story is yours!
WLWT News 5, the Hearst owned NBC Affiliate in Cincinnati has an opening for a self-motivated individual who wants to win each day. We are seeking an Assignment Editor with the ability to capture the essence of what’s happening in the field and then bring it vividly into the homes of our viewers. The successful candidate will have a take-charge attitude when it comes to breaking news. We are looking for someone who can find distinctive enterprise stories and oversee news coverage that will set us apart in the market. We want a newsroom leader who can write, edit and publish on all digital and social platforms.
- Monitoring radio/scanners/social media for breaking news
- Coordinating and dispatching reporters and photographers in the field
- Set news coverage priorities by following the strategic news plan and breaking news coverage plans
- Gather information on stories by cultivating sources within official channels.
- Develop sources and generate story ideas
- Contribute to the station’s digital platforms and help ensure our website has the latest content available
- Must have experience listening to police scanners.
- Must be strongly versed in social media for both posting and news gathering purposes.
- Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
- Strong people and phone skills, as well as the ability to work in a team atmosphere. A strong emphasis on Breaking News is our culture so the ideal candidate must be open and willing to embrace the strategic mission.
- Highly organized
- Ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
- Sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media.
- Successful candidate will be required to contribute to all digital platforms, as well as monitor multiple social media accounts for content and communicate with news makers.
- Willing to work a variety of shifts, including weekends and nights. In person work required.
- College degree in Broadcast Journalism, or related field (preferred)
- Military training and experience will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands