Morning News Reporter
Hearst Television, Kansas City, MO USA
The story is yours!
KMBC 9 News is looking for a full-time Morning News Reporter who can hit the ground running every day and do multiple compelling live shots during our 4½ hours of local news. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We are looking for a versatile, self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills. In addition to credibility, professionalism, and personality; we’re looking for a reporter who can end their day by covering additional news and providing content for later newscasts while also periodically contributing to our strong enterprise reporting efforts.
- Regularly provides multiple compelling live shots on day-of news assignments
- Works well with a photographer to provide active and informative live reports and to gather compelling video and captivating sound, writes to video
- Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms throughout the day
- Demonstrate exceptional time-management skills by meeting deadlines under pressure
- Demonstrates journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- In-person attendance is required
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Strong writing, storytelling, and live reporting skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Has a valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
- Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands