WLKY - Assignment Editor/Managing Editor
Hearst Television, Louisville, KY USA
The story is yours!
WLKY has an opening for a Nightside Assignment Editor/Managing Editor. The ideal candidate will have several years of experience running a newsroom assignment desk. Will also consider producers looking to transition to management. We are looking for a high-energy team player who is dedicated to journalism and positive newsroom culture.
The successful candidate should be able to quickly learn the local news market and how to cover the distinct communities in our DMA. You must be aggressive with breaking news coverage, knowing when to send ground crews, when to fly the helicopter and when to juggle or change assignments. We are looking for a critical thinker who knows how to cover the big story but also finds distinctive enterprise stories and oversees news coverage that sets us apart. We want a newsroom leader who acts decisively but can also collaborate and work as a team.
- Manning the assignment desk, answering the phones and monitoring for breaking news. You'll listen to scanners and monitor social media for news and information.
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with information gathering with regard to stories and breaking news.
- Coordinate and communicate with field crews
- You represent WLKY in all communications with viewers and local agencies, professionalism and a respectful manner are required.
- In-person attendance is required
- Must have experience running an assignment desk, monitoring scanners and social media for breaking news
- Must have a good news sense, know how to cover a big story, and how to deploy people and resources in breaking news situations
- Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media.
- Must be able to mulit-task and be a great communicator
- Must be familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
- Must be highly organized.
- Have the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to the team.
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to work nights
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands