Hearst Television, New Orleans, LA USA
The story is yours!
WDSU is looking for an Investigative Reporter that has the ability to break stories and pitch deeper dive investigations. We are looking for a strong, take-charge investigative reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news, uncovering new details, data mining and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise investigative reporting and we’re looking for someone who finds promotable stories. The Reporter is someone who can bring the energy of live reporting to our anchor desk. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we’re looking for a reporter who isn’t afraid to head out into the field and break the big stories. We are looking for this market’s next leader who isn’t afraid to ask the tough questions, and will hold those in power accountable. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
- Works with and guides reporters and producers in newscast production of investigative stories
- Works closely with Investigative EP on story selection, scripts, and promotion
- Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of investigations and long-term assignments
- Works with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
- Coordinates with news managers and Executive Producer of Investigates to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the investigative reporter to break stories of significance.
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- Use LexisNexis, court databases and other investigative tools to uncover details for context in investigative stories
- Ability to complete public information requests and other records request as needed
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with corporate lawyers to ensure accuracy and documentation is adequate
- In-person attendance is required
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Past investigative reporting experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Has a valid driver’s license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
- Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands
Creative Jobs For You
eCommerce writer @ Paramount / tech & games / part-time contract
CBS Interactive, Remote, Work from USA