WLKY - Weekend Assignment Editor
Hearst Television, Louisville, KY USA
The story is yours!
WLKY is looking for an excellent communicator who will be responsible for manning the weekend and weeknight assignment desk, coordinating coverage and monitoring breaking news. This person may also create/contribute content for our digital platforms, but the primary role is running the assignment desk. The successful candidate will be an excellent journalist and multi-tasker who can communicate and monitor news effectively, as well as handle the deadline pressure of a newsroom. This person will be expected to aggressively cover breaking news, as well as contribute to planning and help manage weekend news coverage.
This person is responsible for answering phones, monitoring social media and other sources for news and events, evaluating press releases and news tips emails to create a log of potential coverage ideas and stories. This person will communicate with crews in the field, dispatching them to cover breaking news and other stories, and evaluating safety concerns in connection with those assignments. You will also help coordinate and communicate all coverage issues with the appropriate co-workers depending on your shift. The main responsibility of this position is to monitor and gather news for the next newscast and provide excellent communication to all involved team members.
- Manage assignment desk, work with crews, answer phones, monitor local news/social media
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors, and reporters with story gathering.
- Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
- Write/edit and publish breaking news, and important stories to all digital platforms, send push alerts when necessary.
- In-person attendance is required
- Must have experience watching local news, and understand how local journalists and news coverage impacts a community
- Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology
- Experience in a newsroom setting is preferred
- Must be highly organized.
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and be a problem-solver
- Must be able to answer phones and handle in a polite manner
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers
- Must have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly distribute
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and weather environment - but also, be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Willing to work a variety of fill-in shifts
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.