Hearst Television, Sacramento, CA USA
The story is yours!
KCRA 3, the news leader in Sacramento and a Hearst Television station, is looking for an Assignment Editor. The ideal candidate will create content for our digital and social media platforms, while taking an active role in proactive newsgathering to win the big story on all platforms. We are looking for a critical thinker who prizes journalistic excellence and loves the excitement of breaking news coverage. In person attendance is required.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after August 25, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
- React decisively to breaking news, helping KCRA to be first with the most complete information on all platforms.
- Coordinate logistics including managing news crews, sharing content with affiliate stations, plus booking satellite windows and live shots.
- Think creatively and dig deeper to enterprise stories that no one is telling in our diverse community.
- Utilize social media and emerging platforms to uncover story ideas.
- Cultivate strong relationships with sources throughout local agencies, organizations and local newsmakers.
- Demonstrate exceptional news judgment.
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining a network of contacts
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and an eye for detail.
- Must be adept and enthusiastic about creating content for our digital platforms and social media
- Must be a team leader who communicates thoughtfully and respectfully
- At least 2 years of professional newsroom experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field
- Must be willing to work mornings, weekends and holidays
- Bilingual experience is a plus.
- Military DINFOS experience will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.