Manager of Development
Hearst Television, Burbank, CA USA
The story is yours!
Hearst Media Production Group (HMPG), a business unit of Hearst Television, is looking for a passionate, skilled, and self-starting junior development executive.
Ideal candidate understands the development-to-series pipeline in non-scripted television and has a comprehensive understanding of market trends. Experienced putting together pitch materials, generating new ideas, leading development casting interviews and cut downs (Premiere preferred). Must be highly organized, and able to maintain/manage development grids and slates. This role is meant for someone who not only loves to create but also consume non-scripted content.
This position reports to the EVP, General Manager (Entertainment).
This position is based in Burbank, CA.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and assist senior team member projects, while also developing your own slate
- Build relationships with buyers, agents, producers, etc.
- Identify and track down talent, identify TV formats, books and other source material
- Create pitch materials for projects including but not limited to writing copy, creative deck design, skype interviews and cutdowns, writing sizzle scripts, cutting together sizzles, etc.
- Regularly generate new ideas, staying up to date on latest trends, reading and consuming the latest news and content released, staying in the know on celebrity happenings, etc.
- 3+ years of development or producing experience in non-scripted
- Experience writing treatments, putting together decks, casting, researching, pitching and have writing samples to share
- Military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) with related experience will be considered
- Existing knowledge of non-scripted shows, buyers, and marketplace
- The ability to cast and interview via video-conference, record and do basic cut-downs
- Able to “run with” network mandates
- Preferably a fan and regular viewer of non-scripted/reality television, as well as viewer of digital/social media influencers and platforms
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Media Production Group requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Media Production Group will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Media Production Group
Hearst Media Production Group(HMPG), a business unit of Hearst Television, is an independent producer and distributor of original programming for TV stations, broadcast and cable networks and streaming services. HMPG produces hundreds of hours of programming annually across linear, streaming, digital and social media platforms for domestic and international distribution in nearly 100 countries. Its popular shows include “Matter of Fact with Soledad O’Brien,” America’s #1 syndicated political program; the Emmy Award-winning educational/informational (E/I) programming blocks airing weekends nationwide including “Weekend Adventure,” on ABC stations; “CBS Dream Team,” on the CBS Network; “The More You Know,” on the NBC Network; “One Magnificent Morning,” on The CW Network; “Mi Telemundo” on the Telemundo Network and “Go Time!” on independent stations. HMPG also distributes a diverse slate of other programming and content including “Law&Crime Daily,” “Prime Crime,” “Consumer Reports TV,” and the company’s dedicated FAST channels “Xplore” and “The Jack Hanna Channel,” available on some of the most popular smart TVs and streaming platforms.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Create the extraordinary.