Hearst Television, Needham, MA, United States
The story is yours!
Chronicle’s founding mission was to cover in-depth a broad range of local stories not likely to be featured in the station’s newscasts --- a mixture of investigative, enterprise, and feature material showcasing the best videography, writing and editing on Boston television. Chronicle has evolved over the decades to embrace a rich and diverse menu of stories on the lifestyle and culture of New England.
The Managing Editor oversees Chronicle’s daily content creation as well as scheduling the program’s staff of more than 20 people including producers, on-air personnel, photojournalists, and editors. The Managing Editor is also responsible for managing all multi-media content development and production elements. The applicant must be a driven and organized leader who is also an excellent storyteller with a proven track-record for writing and producing compelling, long-form programming. The ideal candidate should have a deep knowledge of all things New England including the region’s history, politics, influencers (both the well-known, and the less-so), geography, and culture. The applicant should be a motivational and collaborative leader with a vision for successful multi-media content creation while incorporating the program’s signature tone and style.
Daily duties (some shared with Executive Producer)
- Oversight of long-range program production, story development, and content creation.
- Oversight of story assignments to producers.
- Oversight of daily editorial content and show production
- Oversight of content creation for social media platforms
- Oversight of the preparation of show rundown and scripts
- Creating nightly format in ENPS
- Writing and overseeing the editing of nightly show open and bumps
- Oversight of the use of all graphics resources to enhance our presentation
- Writing anchor scripts for Chronicle show
- Oversight of the Chronicle podcast
- Coaching producers, reporters, and photojournalists
- Communicating effectively with all station staff
- Administrative duties include scheduling, performance reviews, training, and providing constructive feedback
- Booth producing the 7:30 p.m. show on a regular basis
- Significant track record of producing compelling television; management experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in producing, writing, and ability to think visually.
- Deep understanding of the Boston market and the New England/Northeast region with a strong sense of audience desires
- Outstanding communication skills and a team-first attitude
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several responsibilities simultaneously.
- Knowledge of regulatory programming policies including content clearance rights (video, images, music, Fair Use policy, etc.), drone usage, FCC Closed Captioning and Program Ratings rules, among others.
- Knowledge of ENPS, various Adobe software programs, social media platforms, and BitCentral's Oasis and Precis preferred.
- College degree in broadcasting, communications, production, or related field, or related experience.
- Military training and experience will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.