Hearst Television, Jackson, MS, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $41,000
Salary max: $42,000
- Listen to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market—must have great “scanner ears”.
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering.
- Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
- Furnish content and post it to all digital platforms—including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter and Facebook posts.
- In-person attendance is required
- Must have experience listening to police scanners.
- Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media.
- Successful candidate will be required to monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
- Either have a working knowledge of FTP or an ability to learn how to FTP video to other stations.
- Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
- Must be highly organized.
- Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Willing to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights.
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.