Assistant Assignment Editor
Hearst Television, Westbrook, ME, United States
The story is yours!
Salary max: $40,000
WMTW Portland, Maine's ABC affiliate is looking for a smart, creative and enthusiastic newsroom professional to join our award-winning team in Portland, Maine. A vision for success is critical, as is a drive to win weather, breaking news and the big story as we live the Maine's Total Weather & News brand every day. The candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to multi-task in the most efficient manner with exceptional communication skills, under strict deadlines.
- Maintain contact with various police, business, and government agencies.
- Answer phones, dispatch crews, listen to scanners/pager, follow social media to develop stories for use on-air and digitally.
- Manage dayfile/planner-inputting information on upcoming events with background and contact information.
- Coordinate and fulfill requests from other Hearst and ABC affiliates, as well as the network.
- Working with and guiding reporters in story production.
- Selecting and writing content for wmtw.com and the WMTW Mobile App.
- Create social media posts for use on the station Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Ability to work varying shifts, including nights, overnights, and weekends.
- Previous experience in a newsroom preferred
- Strong news judgment, ethics and knowledge of legal standards are a must.
- Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and copy-editing skills
- Someone with a working knowledge of state government and the court system is preferred.
- Knowledge of CMS, Photoshop, and HTML are a plus, but not required
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
- Military training and experience in related field will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Create the extraordinary.