Hearst Television, Needham, MA, United States
The story is yours!
WCVB is looking for a part-time Freelance Reporter who is an outstanding writer, generates compelling story ideas, and delivers live shots with impact. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and are looking for someone who finds stories that lead newscasts. We need a versatile, self-starter who is fast, efficient, and calm under pressure.
- Regularly plans, gathers, and delivers stories on day-of news or special project assignments
- Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop live and packaged content that goes beyond the obvious, accentuates unique enterprise angles, and contains exclusive details
- Works as a team with photographers to identify compelling video and captivating sound and turn it into dynamic on-air and digital content
- Develops a network of sources who provide tips and early access to information, allowing the reporter to break stories of significance
- Contributes photos, video, and text updates to digital platforms consistently throughout the day
- Juggles multiple stories and projects at once and demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure
- 2+ years live reporting experience
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise stories and develop contacts
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use the latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions
- A valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands