WLKY - Reporter
Hearst Television, Louisville, KY, United States
The story is yours!
WLKY is looking for an experienced reporter who is dedicated to live, late breaking coverage. The right candidate will have the ability to generate lead story ideas and do compelling live shots. This is a nightside position. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong lead story reporting and are looking for someone with experience covering breaking news and generating stories that lead newscasts. We are looking for an energetic, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
WLKY is looking for an experienced journalist and an excellent visual storyteller, someone who understands how to attack the big story and generate strong leads for our weekday evening newscasts.
- Work nightly with video-journalist to turn lead story
- Work with producers, assignment desk and managers on daily story production
- Contribute pictures, video and text story updates to digital platforms consistently throughout the day
- Exceptional critical thinking skills, ability to attack a story from different angles and report information accurately
- Develop a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, that allow you to break stories of significance.
- Can juggle multiple tasks/projects at once, exceptional time-management skills, meets deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- In-person attendance is required
- 3-5 years past television news reporting experience required
- Experience must include live breaking news coverage
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Understanding of collaborative, visual storytelling and how to work as a team with a video-journalist to tell a compelling, accurate story.
- Demonstrated ability to tell a complete, accurate story, strong writing and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends, primary shift is nights
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Has a valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.