Hearst Television, Kansas City, MO, United States
The story is yours!
KMBC 9 News is looking for a well-rounded Digital Editor who will be responsible for creating content for its website, mobile and social media platforms. The successful candidate will be an excellent storyteller and multi-tasker who can edit and create content facing intense competition under constant deadline pressure. The candidate must have the ability to remain calm and level-headed, but react aggressively and decisively, during breaking news situations with or without a manager present.
- Write/edit and publish breaking news, daily news, sports, weather and feature stories for the station’s website, mobile app and social media platforms
- Regularly create social content, including graphics and videos, and post to the station’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube platforms
- Curate the KMBC.com homepage and app regularly throughout shifts
- Write sharp, compelling headlines and push alerts with accuracy
- Manage livestreams of newscasts and breaking news on the website and on social media
- Keep tabs on the pulse of the social media landscape across the KC Metro area
- Assist with managing several station-supported Facebook groups, and growing partnerships to leverage UGC.
- Manage and add to a station-created content calendar.
- Have passion for social media engagement, site traffic analytics, and taking ownership in helping meet the station’s digital KPI goals
- Add to KMBC/KCWE newsroom’s long-term planning and strategic vision
- Respond positively to feedback and direction from all newsroom and station managers
- Maintain positive work environment through active team participation and cooperation with coworkers in all departments and corporate teams
- Experience as a writer or editor for a newspaper or news website
- Experience creating graphic and video content, preferably using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Publishing experience within a content management system
- Familiarity with local newsgathering workflow and terminology, Google Analytics, Parsley, Social News Desk, Braze, Restream, OBS, Crowdtangle, ENPS and other third-party digital services.
- 1-3 years of professional newsroom experience. Recent college graduates with extensive journalistic internships and campus media involvement may be considered.
- Strong news and editorial judgment, and able to make decisions under pressure and to change footing when news breaks.
- Immaculate attention to detail, as well as a sense for balance, diversity and tone of the stories on our platforms.
- Skillset of a frontline news editor and possess the ability to copy edit
- Know what drives digital audiences to click on stories and watch videos on desktop and mobile.
- Understanding of SEO best practices, excellent AP knowledge and headline writing skills.
- Strong understanding of social media best practices.
- Flexibility to work different shifts, holidays, etc. on short notice to cover a 24-hour news cycle.
- Ability to work well in a multi-tasking environment with frequent interruptions, while paying close attention to details.
- Proficiency in Photoshop and Premiere
- Working knowledge of sports, and the Kansas City demographic area are a plus.
- This position is fully onsite at the television station.
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Military training from Defense Information School with experience will be considered
Additional RequirementsAs part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.