Hearst Television, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, United States
The story is yours!
WPBF 25 has an opening for a self-motivated individual who wants to be part of a winning team in a fast-paced newsroom. We are seeking an Assignment Editor who has a take-charge attitude when it comes to breaking news, can find distinctive enterprise stories, and helps oversee news coverage that sets us apart both on-air and on all of our digital & social media platforms. In-person attendance is required.
- Listen to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market-must have great ''scanner ears''.
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Furnish content and post it to all digital platforms-including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram posts
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering.
- Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
- Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media.
- Successful candidate will be required to monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
- Either have a working knowledge of FTP or an ability to learn how to FTP video to other stations.
- Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
- Must be highly organized.
- Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Willing to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights.
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Creative Jobs For You
Editor-in-Chief and Director of Communications
National Association for Law Placement, Washington, DC USA