Assistant News Director
Hearst Television, Lancaster, PA, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $103,000
Salary max: $103,000
WGAL News 8, the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate in Lancaster, PA, is looking for an experienced and dynamic leader to become the station’s next Assistant News Director. The successful candidate will have the skills, passion, and leadership to work in lockstep with the News Director and our staff to advance the department in this rapidly growing, competitive market. They will embrace our mission to be the Coverage You Can Count On in the entire Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York region with high-caliber storytelling, precise team communication, and strategic thinking that drives integrity-based editorial decisions. Our next Assistant News Director will take charge of the day-to-day product including superior breaking news and severe weather coverage. Their responsibilities will include driving content integration across all WGAL News 8 platforms including TV, digital and social, and work to plan for major events, enterprise projects and our award-winning 8 On Your Side investigative reports. Our leadership team is committed to recruiting, training, and retaining the best team members, and growing them into future leaders.
- Editorial leadership of impactful content across all television, digital and social platforms
- Superior communication skills to help develop and implement an evolving strategic plan
- Recruit, retain and develop employees across all facets of the newsroom
- Strategic planning in collaboration with the News Director and station leadership on major event coverage and promotable stories
- Analysis of workflows to ensure the newsroom is functioning effectively
- Review and evaluation of our daily product, coach and grow both on and off-air talent
- Strategic planning in collaboration with other departments to execute station and corporate initiatives
- Champion breaking news and severe weather coverage
- 5+ years of newsroom management experience preferred
- Experience mentoring/coaching journalists and newsroom talent
- Strong producing/story production background preferred
- Expert knowledge of ENPS or similar software preferred
- Proven record of leadership and innovation, especially in digital
- Knowledge of digital and multiplatform journalism
- Organizational, planning and time-management skills with a detail-oriented mindset
- Ability to multitask and follow up with newsroom staff on a consistent basis
- Critical thinking, problem-solving and sound decision-making skills
- Interpretation of research data and proof of ratings growth strategies
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Home of the world’s best books.