WLKY - Morning Reporter
Hearst Television, Louisville, KY, United States
The story is yours!
WLKY is looking for an energetic live morning reporter to join our award-winning team! We are looking for an organized, dedicated individual with the ability to present content in a live newscast in an engaging, authentic way. This person must have experience covering everything from breaking news to human interest to community events.
The right candidate can generate community-focused ideas and understands the urgency of breaking news. This person should be an excellent writer who knows how to tell a visual story and be able to execute compelling live shots. We are looking for a take-charge, team player who hits the ground running every day, someone with high-energy who works quickly and effectively.
WLKY values strong story generation and compelling writing, excellent time management skills and a positive, team-oriented attitude. We're looking for a reporter who can join our morning team with exceptional live presence and ability to connect. You must be able to work quickly, under tight deadlines, understand and implement direction and feedback, and collaborate with a video journalist to tell the best story possible. You should be an avid local news consumer who knows what is happening in our community and how develop a network of contacts. Your reel should demonstrate live reporting ability specifically, and storytelling. Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards are a must. Must work with urgency and be dependable.
- Must have live reporting experience and be willing to work the early morning shift
- Must work well with co-workers, and actively contribute to a positive newsroom culture.
- Regularly plan live shots and gather/assemble stories for later newscasts and other assigned stories. Must be able to write quickly.
- Must be able to communicate and collaborate with video journalist on how to develop/tell story in the most visual and compelling way.
- Must adhere to writing/editing timing deadlines for assigned newscasts. Must provide editors enough time to edit and provide producers with script information in timely manner.
- Develop a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to cover stories of significance.
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms daily
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- In-person attendance is required
- Past live reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work, and must contain active live shots.
- Strong live reporting presence and skills, strong writing and storytelling skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Has a valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Home of the world’s best books.