Hearst Television, Needham, MA, United States
The story is yours!
WCVB NewsCenter 5 has an opening for an energetic, self-motivated, and well-sourced Assignment Editor who wants to join the team of committed, dynamic journalists at Hearst Television’s legacy Boston station. This critical position requires one to use exceptional journalistic standards and key contacts to inform editorial decisions. The ideal candidate will be a leader who is decisive during breaking news, a brainstormer who can calmly manage challenges, an expert in directing and supporting news crews no matter the situation, and a customer-focused listener who welcomes viewer calls. The top candidate will be best-in-class in knowing how to coordinate and communicate with field crews, producers, web teams, news managers and the public to maintain WCVB NewsCenter 5’s status as Boston’s News Leader.
- Listening to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market (must have great "scanner ears")
- Gathering and organizing press releases, emails, phone calls, and viewer tips and then leading the way in prioritizing which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts
- Assisting news management with content gathering and planning
- Assisting producers, digital editors, and reporters with story gathering
- Keeping track of and maintaining communication with multiple field crews
- Providing content and posting it to all digital platforms, including but not limited to the WCVB app, Twitter, and Instagram
- Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology including video transfer platforms
- Advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media
- Familiarity with police scanner communication
- Must be highly organized
- Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers
- Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to the news production team including managers, producers, photographers, and reporters
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and severe weather environment
- Have the ability to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Open to occasionally picking up shifts during big event and breaking news coverage
-Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
Dotdash brands help people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired.