Director of Engineering
Hearst Television, Lancaster, PA, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $124,000
Salary max: $124,000
WGAL 8, the Hearst Television-owned, NBC affiliate in the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA market is searching for a demonstrated leader and effective manager for the position of Director of Engineering. The position will be directly responsible for supervision of the installation, operation, and maintenance of all studio and field equipment. This position will manage the technical, IT and operational engineering staff responsible for production of the highest quality broadcasts in the market. In addition to oversight of technical and engineering operations, the position will also serve as the lead for security, infrastructure, logistics planning of special events and capital projects. The Director of Engineering reports directly to the General Manager and assists in achieving station and departmental objectives/priorities.
WGAL 8 is a proven leader in local news on the leading edge of technology application and has a rich history of public service to the community. We are looking for a results-oriented technical and operational leader to join a management team that is committed to excellence. The ability to communicate and interface with various functional departments while managing priorities is key to success in this role.
- Lead WGAL 8’s present and future technology and engineering based operational strategies
- Regulatory compliance and oversight
- Capital planning, execution and project management with collaboration of all other departments
- Technical and engineering operational budget management
- Develop and maintain 5-year technical plan
- Establish and maintain operational technical/engineering standards and policies
- Ensure proper training and education of staff as applicable whether in technical and engineering departments or other functional departments
- Data network, data communications, computer systems and broadcast technologies experience
- Working knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows, Linux, Oracle, etc.)
- Background in audio/video technologies at all levels of production
- Knowledge of multi-channel station automation and servers
- File-based newsroom workflows and editing experience
- VOIP systems background
- HD routing switchers, production switchers, cameras, robotics and multi-viewers experience
- Satellite commercial delivery systems knowledge – Pitch Blue, Path fire, etc.
- Broadcast Encoders, Mux & IRDs experience
- Understanding of ATSC / 8VSB signals, MPEG2, DOLBY AC3, CALM ACT, EAS, CAP, IP Video, HDTV, ENG and STL microwave transmission
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate a team
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in fast paced environment
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.