Hearst Television, Lancaster, PA, United States
The story is yours!
Salary min: $50,000
Salary max: $50,000
WGAL News 8, the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate in the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA market, is looking for a Reporter who can create story ideas, conduct informed interviews, develop sources, and build compelling live shots. You will be a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. We value strong enterprise reporting and we’re looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality, you are not afraid to head out into the field, ask the tough questions and break the big stories. You will be a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills. You will report to the News Director.
- Plan, gather and assemble stories on day-of news or special project assignments
- Work with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
- Post story content on the station website and social media platforms regularly
- Coordinate with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Develop a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms throughout the day
- Work on different stories and projects at once and meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- Have and exhibit unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Conceptualizes visual and creative live shots
- 2-3 years of experience reporting
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Operate latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Work varied shifts
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Related military experience will be considered
At Hearst Television we tell stories every day. Stories about people of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and identities. That's why, behind the scenes, we believe in being an organization as diverse and varied as the audience we reach, ensuring that the content we create is more compassionate, and more representative of the communities we serve.
Hearst's benefit programs are modern, flexible and designed to focus on you. As a Hearst employee, you and your spouse or partner or dependents would have access to the following benefits.
- Medical | Dental | Vision
- 401(k) matching
- Emotional Wellness Support
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- LGBTQ+ Health Services
- Additional benefits to meet your and your family's needs
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States