Chief Investigative Reporter
Hearst Television, Des Moines, IA, United States
The story is yours!
KCCI-TV is looking for a full-time Investigative Reporter who can work collaboratively with other members of the news team to find and produce short- and long-term investigative stories. The successful candidate will have a track record of developing sources and deploying investigative reporting techniques to generate stories. The goal is to hold public officials accountable, dig into community concerns and uncover exclusive details on the big story. This reporter will be a versatile storyteller: able to delve into numbers, tell emotional stories, and deliver active and creative live shots.
- Juggle multiple stories with short and long-term deadlines
- Take initiative in researching and pitching stories in coordination with the news managers for special projects
- Work with photographers and producers to produce stories with the highest quality visual journalism
- Work with managers and station attorneys to ensure coverage is fair, ethical, and legally defensible
- Work with our digital department to ensure investigative content has a strong presence on all platforms
- Develop a network of sources who provide tips and early access to information, allowing the reporter to break stories of significance, identify stories worthy of investigation and add detail and context to breaking news coverage
- 2+ years investigative reporting experience
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise stories and develop contacts
- Demonstrated record of obtaining and reporting on court documents and other public records
- Data journalism experience is preferred but not required
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use the latest technology
- A valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
About Hearst Television
Every career with Hearst Television is like a story. How it develops, where it takes you, the milestones you reach along the way – you’ve got a lot to look forward to as your unique career story unfolds.
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more.
Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies. It has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism and industry innovation, including the Walter Cronkite Award for political journalism, the national Edward R. Murrow Award, the DuPont-Columbia Award and the George Foster Peabody Award.
Want to learn more about Hearst Television? Visit Hearst Television's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States