Freelance Technical Editor
Institute of Food Technologists, Chicago, but work from anywhere
Work at Institute of Food Technologists
Salary: Hourly rates, per assignment, up to $55, commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience.
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Are you as passionate about good writing and sound science? Can you translate detailed academic material for a broader audience of business leaders? If so, Food Technology, the award-winning publication of the Institute of Food Technologists, needs experienced technical editors to review, fact check and copy edit scientific and technical content for our worldwide audience of food professionals. Curiosity and flexibility are essential: Our content covers a wide array of topics in commercial food production, including processing, food safety, nutrition, packaging, ingredients, etc.
If you love science and are committed to a global food system that is safe, sustainable and accessible, we need to talk.
- Ability to clearly condense and synthesize detailed scientific and technical material for a non-expert, professional audience
- Determination to inject energy and voice into copy
- Familiarity and/or interest in basic food science (chemistry, sensory, microbiology, etc.) is desirable, but NOT required
- Excellent copy editing/proofreading skills
- Strict deadline discipline
- Copy edit contributed articles for clarity, brevity, grammar and syntax
- Consult and coordinate content review with outside experts, as needed, to verify scientific accuracy
- Query authors as needed to secure clarification and/or revisions
- Coordinate the acquisition, organization and selection of supplemental graphics (photos, charts, tables)
- Ensure consistency of formatting, taxonomy, style and tone
- Proofread completed layouts and edit using InCopy
Hourly rates, per assignment, up to $55, commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience. Before/after editing samples with published clips preferred.
About Institute of Food Technologists
Since 1939, the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) has been a forum for passionate science of food professionals and technologists to collaborate, learn, and contribute all with the goal of inspiring and transforming collective scientific knowledge into innovative solutions for the benefit of all people around the world. As a scientific community grounded in purpose, IFT feeds the minds that feed the world.
Want to learn more about Institute of Food Technologists? Visit Institute of Food Technologists's website.
Create the extraordinary.