Subject Commissioning Editor
IOP Publishing Inc, Remote, Work from USA
Work at IOP Publishing Inc
Salary: 52,000 - 62,000
Salary min: $50,000
Salary max: $60,000
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
IOP Publishing (IOPP) is recruiting a number of Subject Commissioning Editors to join our journal portfolio team to support the editorial development and expansion of our publishing program in the following core subject areas (one role per area):
- Quantum science and technology
- Environmental science/sustainability
- Materials science/physical chemistry
These new roles represent a unique opportunity for candidates with a background in the physical sciences, content commissioning experience and a passion for working with the research community to play a pivotal role in helping to shape the editorial direction and growth of IOPP’s subject portfolios in some of the most exciting areas of science today.
If you’re a highly motivated, target-driven and collaborative professional looking to work with the science community in a diverse and international environment, then look no further!
Working across a subject portfolio of journals in partnership with the wider publishing team, the Subject Commissioning Editor provides scientific expertise and knowledge of the research landscape to raise IOPP’s profile and impact, and drive content acquisition in an identified subject area of high priority to the company’s editorial growth strategy.
Through the building of strong personal networks and collaborations across the international research community, the successful applicant will directly commission research content and generate insights about the relevant research landscape including current hot topics, emerging new research trends, funding, new services and scientific policy to inform the development of IOPP’s subject strategy and deliver content growth for the portfolio.
In addition to desk-based activities the role involves international travel in attending conferences and visiting target research institutions to develop IOPP’s profile and build new research community networks in an identified subject area.
Key job accountabilities include:
- To directly commission research content and deliver a content commissioning framework to increase the number of high-quality submissions, usage, citations and other measures of success for a portfolio of journals in a specific subject area.
- To develop and foster new and existing relationships within a subject research community, building a broad network of researcher contacts at identified key institutes across the world to gain new scientific insights, solicit authors, guest editors and/or Board members to support IOPP’s content growth.
- To act as a subject and research community expert and be an internal authority within the portfolio team to provide regular subject market insights and new content development leads to support journal strategies, article growth initiatives and new product launch opportunities.
- To be a highly visible internal and external figurehead for IOPP’s activity in a subject area through attendance and participation at relevant scientific conferences/workshops (including speaking engagements, social media activity and other in-person/virtual community interaction).
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably with PhD, in a relevant STEM discipline and a passion for science.
- Previous commissioning experience and the ability to work with the research community to deliver content development plans.
- Knowledge of the research and STM publishing landscape, including an understanding of researchers’ needs and expectations from academic journals. An understanding of open access, including current trends and mandates, would be beneficial but not essential.
- Subject expertise, ideally with proven research expertise and existing networks within a relevant STEM discipline.
- Strong presentation and excellent interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to engage, influence and develop strong networks with researchers.
- Strong data analysis and reporting skills with the ability to directly interpret data to deliver new strategic insights and recommendations.
- A creative mindset and the ability to bring energy, ideas and new approaches.
We know it is unusual for someone to tick every box so, if you don’t meet all the criteria, but demonstrate most of the skills and experience we are looking for, and have the enthusiasm to work with us, go ahead and apply.
Our exceptional benefits package:
- 401k (company matches employee contribution up to 7.5% of salary)
- Discretionary Annual Bonus, based on company and individual performance
- Health Insurance - IOPP covers 100% of the cost of employee coverage, the plan includes both prescription drug and vision coverage
- Dental Insurance - IOPP covers 100% of the cost of employee and family
- Life Insurance
- 20 days annual leave, plus standard holidays and floating leave, increasing by 1 day per to 25 days
- Sick Pay
- Flexible Spending Accounts - allows employees to pay out of pocket costs on a pre-tax basis.
To apply, please submit your CV through our careers site.
IOP Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
About IOP Publishing Inc
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals program is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximize the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial profits earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognize that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
IOP Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates.
Want to learn more about IOP Publishing Inc? Visit IOP Publishing Inc's website.
We give readers what they want, before they want it.