Princeton University, Princeton, NJ USA
Work at Princeton University
The Princeton Alumni Weekly - https://paw.princeton.edu/, Princeton University's editorially independent alumni magazine, seeks a creative, accurate, and thoughtful journalist to cover our vibrant campus, faculty, and alumni.
This writer/assistant editor covers campus news for our print edition and digital and social-media platforms. The writer conducts interviews and research to craft news stories about Princeton's students, faculty, leaders, and campus developments, including articles on sensitive topics (such as race, gender, and campus speech) and stories relating to the many academic disciplines at Princeton. In reporting these articles, the staff member attends student events, lectures, faculty meetings, CPUC meetings, and other University gatherings, and interacts with a wide range of people, including students and University officials at the highest levels. As an editor, this staff member will assist in copy-editing proofs and, as requested, will assist the managing editor in preparing short articles by others for publication. This staff member will also develop and execute ideas for campus-related feature articles, contribute to other sections of the magazine as time permits, contribute to PAW podcasts, and participate in all PAW brainstorming and planning meetings.
For full consideration please attach a cover letter and links to 2-3 published articles. Essential qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree
* At least 2 years of experience in journalism, especially print journalism (college experience accepted)
* Demonstrated ability to conduct interviews and to write clearly, quickly, and concisely
* Demonstrated computer-research skills
* Strong interpersonal skills, professional manner, and comfort and confidence interacting with a wide range of people
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
* Familiarity with editing conventions, journalism ethics, and AP style
* Ability to work under intense deadline pressure and ability to collaborate within a team.
* Knowledge of Princeton University or experience in higher education (strongly preferred)
* Experience in social media (including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), digital communication, and podcasting (strongly preferred)
* Able to use InDesign
* Basic knowledge of photography
* Familiarity with layout, graphic design
* Experience in multimedia storytelling
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - https://rrr.princeton.edu/eop and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW - https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Create the extraordinary.