Barnard College, New York, NY USA
Work at Barnard College
Position Title Multimedia Producer
Type of Position Administrative
Job Function Reporting to the Associate Director of Multimedia Productions, the Multimedia Producer will be responsible for the development of high-quality photographic and video content to provide viewers with a window into the College's robust academic and cultural life, and to reinforce the College's key messages and strategic initiatives. The Multimedia Producer will generate ideas for visual and interactive stories that feature the College, its students, faculty, alumnae, and the larger Barnard community in coordination with the Communications team and other administrative and academic offices as necessary. Working closely with the Associate Director, the Multimedia Producer will provide direction, planning, and execution of multimedia content for Barnard's communication channels as well as develop and post content to Barnard's main social media channels.
Department Communications - Electronic Communications
Reports to Title Associate Director of Multimedia Productions
Full or Part Time Full Time
Number Of Months 12 months/year
Work Schedule Monday - Friday, 9AM to 5PM Some weekends and evenings will be required.
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
1. Working with the Associate Director of Multimedia Productions, collaborates across the College on strategic photo and video projects from the conceptual development stages, throughout production, to delivery of the finished product via multiple channels.
2. Captures events and subjects via video/photography in order to provide content for web, social media, publication, public relations or exhibition purposes.
3. Plans and produces a wide variety of still photo assignments such as photojournalism essays and event photography. Completes all post-production image processing and retouching.
4. Develops and produces original short and long-form videos, three-camera live event recordings and other original multimedia. Maintains and updates website content.
5. Captures key campus initiatives including interviews and b-roll; records, assembles and manages distribution of finished projects to College communication channels, including website, video sharing sites and appropriate social media platforms.
6. Produces creative work that fits within Barnard College's established visual style, identity guidelines and design systems.
7. Produces videos for social media in a format, story style and graphic design that is optimized for mobile viewing and sharing.
8. Performs video production work including pre- and post-production management such as planning, scouting, livestream recording setup, storyboarding, conducting interviews, directing interview subjects, preparing sets, obtaining props, composing shots, operating camera and editing content with superb quality and speed. Must be comfortable working as a one-person production unit.
9. Utilizes creativity as well as knowledge of lighting, composition, camera/lens combinations, and editing software such as: Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photo Mechanic.
10. Performs editing, correction, archival and file storage. On occasion, performs digital imaging necessary to the production of high-quality photographic prints and images for publication or other purposes.
11. Secures appropriate likeness and interview releases, licensing rights for use of music and other intellectual property; scouts and secures film shoot locations and props; reviews scripts; and hires additional technical personnel as appropriate.
12. Maintains and documents release and rights files.
13. Engages with subject-matter experts when needed to create compelling digital content.
14. Works independently with general supervision and broad instructions, planning and arranging own work according to previously defined objectives, managing towards agreed upon priorities.
15. Performs additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of photo, video and post production techniques.
* Understanding of basic cinematography (studio lighting, sets, etc)
* Strong visual sensibility; proven ability to craft compelling stories and narratives through multiple forms of digital media; ability to conduct effective interviews for the purposes of generating meaningful and succinct content for stories.
* Broad knowledge of and experience working in multiple forms of digital media, with particular expertise in photography and video and including photo essays, video features, social media communications, etc. such as Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photo Mechanic
* Superb writing, editing, and grammatical skills, adaptable to Barnard's voice and messaging; ability to copy-edit and proofread. Facility adapting content for web and social media platforms.
* Ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with vendors, colleagues, and various other constituents; ability to deal willingly and effectively with diverse groups of people under a variety of circumstances.
* Strong organizational skills; ability to initiate work, juggle multiple projects at once and prioritize work to meet both long- and short-term deadlines.
* Comfort working in a combined Mac and PC environment and using a web-based content management system to update, create, and maintain pages.
* Ability to understand complicated topics, and create innovative and clear ways to present this information to a lay audience.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and as part of a team.
* Ability and willingness to work weekends and evenings on occasion.
Salary Range commensurate with experience
Posting Detail Information
EEO Statement Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Open Date 11/01/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Additional Information In your cover letter, please include links to at least two videos you've produced and examples of or a portfolio/website link to still photography.
Required Qualification Summary
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum 3 full years applicable editorial work experience, including photo and video production experience.
- Experience and proficiency as a still photographer.
- At least 3 years of experience filming video with a DSLR camera.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with web content creation and content management, including familiarity with Drupal.
- Solid understanding of and comfort using mobile apps for social media video & photo production.
- Experience producing and editing photography and videos using Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, etc.).
- Experience producing and managing a video shoot solo and/or with a professional crew.
Preferred Qualification Summary Experience working in higher education or non-profit fields preferred.
Physical Demands Summary • Ability to lift items weighing as much as 25 lbs • Physically fit to carry tools, equipment and materials
Create the extraordinary.