General Assignment Reporter
KUNC Radio, Greeley, Colorado
Work at KUNC Radio
Salary: Competitive Salary with benefits $4150- $4300 per/month ● Health, dental and vision care with over 90% of premiums for employee paid by employer ● Employer-provided Life & AD&D and disability insurance (ST and LT) ● 403b retirement with company match ● Paid Time Off ● 9 paid holidays, +1 floating holiday ● Maternity/paternity/partner leave
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
KUNC seeks a dynamic and charismatic individual to join our team as our General Assignment
(GA) Reporter & Host for Weekend Edition. The ideal candidate will be a natural storyteller who
is excited by new ideas, experimenting, and helping to grow an evolving organization in service
to our communities. This is considered an entry-level position, and we will provide adequate
training to help you develop into a self-sufficient and successful member of the team.
As our GA Reporter & Host, you will work closely with our reporters, the digital team, and our
local hosts of Morning Edition and All Things Considered. You will also have the opportunity to
have your stories picked up by NPR’s programs like All Things Considered and Morning Edition,
along with other national programs.
Mon/Tues/Wed or Wed/Thurs/Fri
For three days during the week, you will primarily perform GA Reporter duties including:
● Voice track weekend and weekday automation breaks (1-2 hours per shift)
● Work with Assistant News Director to write and produce daily newscast items
● Work with KUNC’s Digital team to produce and engage our audience with web and
social media posts
● Work with the Director of News to create occasional evergreen features
● Perform research, conduct effective interviews, and maintain organized records
● Provide backup to our local Morning Edition and All Things Considered hosts
Host – Weekend Edition
Sat/Sun – REQUIRED AT THE STATION FROM 6:30AM-10:30AM BOTH DAYS
On Saturday and Sunday, you will primarily perform Host duties including:
● Live host Weekend Edition both days, from 7:00am-10:15am, with 4 live newscasts at 7,
8, 9 and 10am
After the hosting shift is complete, you will be asked to perform as a GA Reporter, which
includes the duties listed above.
● Attend and engage with listeners and members at community engagement events such
as Java with a Journalist
● Participate in on-air fundraising
● A minimum of one year of on-air or podcast work and online reporting
● Bachelors (B.A. or B.S.) or Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) in journalism, radio
production, media, communication, or a related field of study
● A minimum of six months hosting experience within an NPR clock
● Knowledge of, and strict adherence to, journalistic ethics and standards, specifically NPR
● Proven ability to be a positive team member, consistently work well with others, and
always demonstrate respect for the diverse constituencies at KUNC and within the
public broadcasting system.
● Demonstrated ability to produce high quality content and programming.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
● The work environment will be at the Greeley office when hosting. Flexible scheduling
and remote work for reporting shifts can be established with the supervisor
● The Greeley office environment: locked building accessible by FOB with overhead
lighting with low-to-moderate noise levels
● Prolonged periods of remaining in a stationary position
About KUNC Radio
Northern Colorado’s NPR Member Station, KUNC, aims to strengthen our communities by
cultivating the mind and spirit- informing, inspiring and entertaining. KUNC is a staple for many
individuals within northern Colorado, serving numerous rural, mountain and city communities
for over 50 years. We are in a pivotal location on the front range of the Rocky Mountains,
meaning you have day-access to world-class skiing and hiking, popular educational institutions
such as the Denver Art Museum, and our beloved legendary music venues, including Red Rocks
KUNC News is a team of dedicated journalists, who are committed to telling the stories of our
diverse communities, reflecting the people who live in those communities, and amplifying their
voices. We operate with a team mentality, creating engaging and relevant content focusing on
internal and external collaboration and experimenting in content styles and distribution.
KUNC provides leadership and editorial oversight of coverage of the Colorado state legislature
through our statewide distributed Capital Coverage. Inside our newsroom is an award-winning
Investigative Desk and our signature program, Colorado Edition. We serve an audience of over
155,000 people per week on air and online.
Want to learn more about KUNC Radio? Visit KUNC Radio's website.
Home of the world’s best books.